Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Buteonidae Buteonidae is offline

Default Transpose 2 characters, as in "prefect" to "perfect"

I'm using Word 2007, but this question would apply to most versions of the
software.

In the early days, there was a simple keyboard shortcut (no cumbersome
macro, Vbase language, etc.) to transpose two mis-typed letters. For
instance, if one typed "prefect" instead of "perfect" (a case in which a
spell-check will not help), one could put the cursor between the R and the E
and hit something simple like control-T, and the two letters would switch
places.

Nowadays, control-T creates a hanging indent - all well and good, since I
use a lot of those - but I can't remember the little shortcut that transposes
letters. Can anyone help? Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You'll need the 'cumbersome macro'.

With Selection
.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
.Cut
.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
.Paste
End With

which you can attach to a keyboard shortcut of your choice - see

Buteonidae wrote:
I'm using Word 2007, but this question would apply to most versions
of the software.

In the early days, there was a simple keyboard shortcut (no cumbersome
macro, Vbase language, etc.) to transpose two mis-typed letters. For
instance, if one typed "prefect" instead of "perfect" (a case in
which a spell-check will not help), one could put the cursor between
the R and the E and hit something simple like control-T, and the two
letters would switch places.

Nowadays, control-T creates a hanging indent - all well and good,
since I use a lot of those - but I can't remember the little shortcut
that transposes letters. Can anyone help? Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You'll need the 'cumbersome macro'.

Thank you, Graham Mayor.
The macro was indeed somewhat cumbersome to install, but works like a charm.
As to why Weird Willie Gates hasn't simply installed this macro and a
corresponding button in Word, we can only look to the gods, no?

Thanks again!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A less cumbersome macro:

With Selection
.Text = Mid(.Text, 2) & Left(.Text, 1)
End With

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Buteonidae" wrote in message
news

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You'll need the 'cumbersome macro'.

Thank you, Graham Mayor.
The macro was indeed somewhat cumbersome to install, but works like a
charm.
As to why Weird Willie Gates hasn't simply installed this macro and a
corresponding button in Word, we can only look to the gods, no?

Thanks again!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JEV JEV is offline

I think you can set up an Exclusion dictionary, too to catch with spellcheck
those words that are valid but less likely to actually be the appropriate
context:

prefect perfect
pubic public
coarse course