Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RTH

Default How do I move my cursor between columns in a Word document?

I have a document with two columns. I would like to type in the right-hand
coiumn with out having the words wrap from the left-hand column.

HOW DO I GET MY CURSOR TO THE RIGHT-HAND COLUMN???
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can insert a column break using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, but make sure that
newspaper-style columns are what you really want; possibly you need a table
instead. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm

"RTH" wrote in message
I have a document with two columns. I would like to type in the

right-hand
coiumn with out having the words wrap from the left-hand column.

HOW DO I GET MY CURSOR TO THE RIGHT-HAND COLUMN???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're referring to the keyboard shortcut, you can find a list of all of
them in the Help topic "Keyboard shortcuts."

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can insert a column break using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, but make sure that
newspaper-style columns are what you really want; possibly you need a
table
instead. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm

so
all may benefit.

"RTH" wrote in message
I have a document with two columns. I would like to type in the

right-hand
coiumn with out having the words wrap from the left-hand column.

HOW DO I GET MY CURSOR TO THE RIGHT-HAND COLUMN???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Simon G Simon G is offline

"RTH" wrote:

I have a document with two columns. I would like to type in the right-hand
coiumn with out having the words wrap from the left-hand column.

HOW DO I GET MY CURSOR TO THE RIGHT-HAND COLUMN???

Actually the above question has not been answered. What has been answered is
now to create column breaks. I have two columns and would like to move from
one column to another even if there is no text. I don't want to use table
with lines, I just want to move about.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ctrl+Shift+Enter inserts a column break, yes.

Usually you let Word flow the text into the next column, though (or make use
of a table).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Linda" wrote in message
I just found it on-line. At the end of the text in your left column, press
Control+Shift+Enter.
--
Linda

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

"Simon G" Simon wrote in message

"RTH" wrote:

I have a document with two columns. I would like to type in the
right-hand
coiumn with out having the words wrap from the left-hand column.

HOW DO I GET MY CURSOR TO THE RIGHT-HAND COLUMN???

Actually the above question has not been answered. What has been
answered
is
now to create column breaks. I have two columns and would like to move
from
one column to another even if there is no text. I don't want to use
table
with lines, I just want to move about.

Thank you

You cannot move between newspaper columns unless they contain text. If
they
do contain text, you can move the insertion point for example by clicking
in
the text, or by using the same commands as in single-column text (see the
article at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH060831551033
"Keyboard shortcuts for Word").

From your description, it does seem as if a table would be the best
choice.
Note that you can remove the table border.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Trying Trying is offline

"RTH" wrote:

I have a document with two columns. I would like to type in the right-hand
coiumn with out having the words wrap from the left-hand column.

HOW DO I GET MY CURSOR TO THE RIGHT-HAND COLUMN???

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Keep typing until you've filled up the first column.

However, it's more likely that what you want is a two-column table
(with no borders); then you can put items side by side in the two
columns.

On Dec 23, 3:56*pm, trying wrote:
"RTH" wrote:
I have a document with two columns. *I would like to type in the right-hand
coiumn with out having the words wrap from the left-hand column.

HOW DO I GET MY CURSOR TO THE RIGHT-HAND COLUMN???-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] gkcormaty@yahoo.com is offline

On Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 9:21:30 AM UTC+11, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
Keep typing until you've filled up the first column.

However, it's more likely that what you want is a two-column table
(with no borders); then you can put items side by side in the two
columns.

On Dec 23, 3:56Â*pm, trying wrote:
"RTH" wrote:
I have a document with two columns. Â*I would like to type in the right-hand
coiumn with out having the words wrap from the left-hand column.

HOW DO I GET MY CURSOR TO THE RIGHT-HAND COLUMN???-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"RTH" wrote:
I have a document with two columns. Â*I would like to type in the right-hand
coiumn with out having the words wrap from the left-hand column.

HOW DO I GET MY CURSOR TO THE RIGHT-HAND COLUMN???-

You can just double click in your second column for the cursor to become active. You don't have to fill up the first column.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I move my cursor between columns in a Word document?

Moving Cursor Between Columns in Word
[list=1][*]Place your cursor at the end of the text in the left-hand column.[*]Press the Ctrl key and then press the Shift key at the same time.[*]While holding down both keys, press the Enter key. This will move your cursor to the beginning of the right-hand column.[*]Start typing in the right-hand column without any text wrapping from the left-hand column.

Alternatively, you can also use the mouse to move your cursor between columns. Here's how:

1. Click anywhere in the left-hand column to place your cursor there.
2. Move your mouse to the top of the left-hand column until you see a small icon with two arrows pointing in opposite directions.
3. Click on this icon to move your cursor to the beginning of the right-hand column.
4. Start typing in the right-hand column without any text wrapping from the left-hand column.