Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ub ub is offline

Default How to format numbering to indent my document

Hi
Can some help me to indent my document.
In my document, I have heading and sub heading that are hyperlink
Ex
13. xxx
13.1 xx
13.2 xx

14. yy
14.1 yy
14.1.1 yy

Now if I need to insert another heading in between 13 and 14, how can I do
this, so that the heading & subheading underneath also get updated
according.
In this example, If I insert a heading # 14 between 13 & 14, the heading #
of 14 should chnage to 15 and all the subheading should be changed to 15.1
etc.

Please advise
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

If these Headings have been designed with Outline Numbering style, they
should automatically update as you insert the new chapters.
Have you used the built-in Heading styles?
DeanH

"ub" wrote:

Hi
Can some help me to indent my document.
In my document, I have heading and sub heading that are hyperlink
Ex
13. xxx
13.1 xx
13.2 xx

14. yy
14.1 yy
14.1.1 yy

Now if I need to insert another heading in between 13 and 14, how can I do
this, so that the heading & subheading underneath also get updated
according.
In this example, If I insert a heading # 14 between 13 & 14, the heading #
of 14 should chnage to 15 and all the subheading should be changed to 15.1
etc.

Please advise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ub ub is offline

Hi
This doument was not created by me.
How can I find out what style was used in creating headings and subheading.
Thanks

"ub" wrote:

Hi
Can some help me to indent my document.
In my document, I have heading and sub heading that are hyperlink
Ex
13. xxx
13.1 xx
13.2 xx

14. yy
14.1 yy
14.1.1 yy

Now if I need to insert another heading in between 13 and 14, how can I do
this, so that the heading & subheading underneath also get updated
according.
In this example, If I insert a heading # 14 between 13 & 14, the heading #
of 14 should chnage to 15 and all the subheading should be changed to 15.1
etc.

Please advise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Are you using Word 2003 or prior? If you are using 2007, I have no knowledge
of the intricacies of said version, sorry.
When on one of the Headings, Format, Bullets and Numbering, is the Outline
Numbering tab selected?
Unfortunately it sounds like that these Headings have not been setup with
Outline Numbering which accounts for the absense of auto numbering when you
insert new text and apply the same style that the others have (Format Painter
icon is good for this).
To check, can you type "in" numbering of one of the existing Heading
numbers? If you can, then unfortunately they have not been setup and the
numbering has been "hard-typed" and will not refresh.
Come back with your results and I may be able to help you convert these
without too much aggrevation.
DeanH