Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default TOC suddenly including figures

I have a 62,000 word, 125 page document with a TOC. The TOC's been
great -- everytime I update it, it looks flawless. Now suddenly, its
including random figure captions in the TOC when I update. I checked
the style of the captions and they haven't changed. I even tried
opening and old copy and cutting and pasting into it, but as soon as I
do, the TOC starts screwing up again.

I almost looks like once the document reaches a certain size the TOC
breaks down -- is that possible, or is something else going on?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

ALT F9 shows

{ TOC \o "1-2" \h \z \u }

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Okay, this is a pretty bog-standard TOC field. As you can learn from the
Help topic "Field codes: TOC (Table of Contents) field" or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm, the \o "1-2" part
includes Headings 1 and 2. The \h switch makes each entire entry a hyperlink
(rather than jut the page number), and the \z switch suppresses page numbers
when the document is viewed as a Web page. The problem switch here is
probably the \u switch, which includes paragraphs formatted with an outline
level (presumably of 1 or 2). At a guess, Document Map has applied an
outline level to your Caption style. See http://daiya.mvps.org/docmap.htm or
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/DocumentMap.htm; also
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/documentmap/index.html

wrote in message
ups.com...
ALT F9 shows

{ TOC \o "1-2" \h \z \u }

Thanks,
Rich

Outlining and Table of Figures RDNikeAir Microsoft Word Help 3 December 1st 05 10:08 AM
Table of figures joemoran7 Formatting Long Documents 2 November 2nd 05 05:29 PM
Table of figures joemoran7 Tables 1 November 2nd 05 05:23 PM
Creating a Table of Figures Dee Microsoft Word Help 7 July 14th 05 12:15 AM
Using captions to create a list of figures in the TOC Mary Lee Page Layout 2 April 15th 05 07:03 PM