Bill Ridgeway

Default Blank lines

I remember way back a word processor in which it was possible to insert a
code that would skip n lines - to save the tedious repetitive enter to get
to the bottom of a page for example.

I just wonder is there is a way of doing this in Word? I wouldn't be
surprised if this is not possible!

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway

Stefan Blom

In Word you are *not* recommended to press ENTER multiple times to
"move down the page".

To create spacing above (or below) paragraphs, you should specify the
desired amount for Spacing Before (Spacing After) on the Indents and
Spacing tab of the Paragraph dialog box (to open this dialog box,
click Paragraph on the Format menu). For example, you can create a
blank line above a paragraph by specifying 12 pt of Spacing Before.

If you want to continue typing on the next page, you can:
- Use the "Page break before" option (FormatParagraph, Line and Page
Breaks tab).
- Insert a section break.
- Insert a page break.

To get to the bottom of a page, there are several possibilities:
- Insert a text box at the appropriate location, and type text inside
it.
- Use the footer area to enter your text.

If you want to add text at various locations on a page, you can:
- Insert one or more tables with the appropriate number of rows and
columns.
You can specify a fixed height and width to fill the page.
- Insert text boxes.
- Insert text frames.

The best approach really depends on what you want to achieve.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
I remember way back a word processor in which it was possible to

insert a
code that would skip n lines - to save the tedious repetitive enter

to get
to the bottom of a page for example.

I just wonder is there is a way of doing this in Word? I wouldn't

be
surprised if this is not possible!

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway

To add to what Stefan and g-n-o have said, if you're looking to start a new
page, you can use Ctrl+Enter to insert a manual page break. As a general
rule, however, manual page breaks should be avoided. You can usually
accomplish this by using a combination of "Keep with next" and "Keep lines
together" in the paragraphs you want to move to the next page, or "Page
break before" in a specific paragraph. If a particular style should always
start a new page, "Page break before" should be part of the style
definition.

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
I remember way back a word processor in which it was possible to insert a
code that would skip n lines - to save the tedious repetitive enter to get
to the bottom of a page for example.

I just wonder is there is a way of doing this in Word? I wouldn't be
surprised if this is not possible!

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway

Charles Kenyon

To add to what others have said, I would recommend that if you are going to
be using Word much at all, you should learn about styles.
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm. They are at the heart of how
Word formats things.
--
Charles Kenyon