Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
jretig

Default How do I activate Alt Commands?

I'm trying to use ALT + commands to use shortcuts for certain characters in
Microsoft Word. I usually can use ALT + 130 and so forth to get special
characters, but I am getting nothing with my new computers. Other computers I
had, with the same CD used for installing the Office 2003 Professional Suite
worked... Any help would be grateful!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

Make sure the NumLock is turned on.

I assume you would have mentioned if the new computer is a laptop, with the
"keypad" embedded in the main keyboard. If that's the case, there's usually
a Fn key or something like that to enable the keypad functions of those
keys.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

jretig wrote:
I'm trying to use ALT + commands to use shortcuts for certain
characters in Microsoft Word. I usually can use ALT + 130 and so
forth to get special characters, but I am getting nothing with my new
computers. Other computers I had, with the same CD used for
installing the Office 2003 Professional Suite worked... Any help
would be grateful!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:30:02 -0800 from jretig
:
I'm trying to use ALT + commands to use shortcuts for certain characters in
Microsoft Word. I usually can use ALT + 130 and so forth to get special

You mean Alt-0130, I suppose.

characters, but I am getting nothing with my new computers.

Are they laptops? As has been discussed here, Alt-nnnn doesn't work
in Word 2003 on certain laptops (including mine), even though it
works in other Windows programs such as Excel 2003.

You can use InsertSymbol, or cut and paste with Character Map, or
enter the hex value and then press Alt-X, or set up Autocorrect
entries.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/