Dab

Default Help: Highlighted text problems

Hi:

Hoping someone can give some guidance on this problem.

I've been using word for years (lots of frustrating years I might add).
There are many magic features in word that seem to happen without any
initiation by the user. The latest spell that I'm experiencing is that my
backspace no longer deletes text that I've selected. In addition, I used to
be able to select a text section of then replace that text by typing. Now
when I do this, the text that I type is added to what's already there. This
is driving me nuts!

Any help appreciated.

--
Dab

Cut off: yourhead to respond

Jay Freedman

Dab wrote:
Hi:

Hoping someone can give some guidance on this problem.

I've been using word for years (lots of frustrating years I might
add). There are many magic features in word that seem to happen
without any initiation by the user. The latest spell that I'm
experiencing is that my backspace no longer deletes text that I've
selected. In addition, I used to be able to select a text section of
then replace that text by typing. Now when I do this, the text that
I type is added to what's already there. This is driving me nuts!

Any help appreciated.

Both of those symptoms come from the same option. Go to Tools Options
Edit and check the box for "Typing replaces selection". I'm not sure how it
could spontaneously become unchecked, but there are some "odd things" about
the way Word stores its preferences.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Change highlighted text biting_bear Microsoft Word Help 1 March 11th 05 09:33 PM
Text uppercased and text is highlighted in blocks baystate Microsoft Word Help 1 March 10th 05 11:55 PM
Using Word, my "backspace" key no longer deletes highlighted text Canaras Microsoft Word Help 1 February 17th 05 05:54 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Strange formatting of text not highlighted Dan Schaffer New Users 9 December 6th 04 10:08 PM