Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Default page numbering format in indexes

Hello Jeff

Jeff Linscott wrote:
I am new to these lists and am not sure if this question is in the
correct newgroup or not. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a very large document (Word 2003) but this question is a good one
for all sized files. This file is (will be) broken into three volumes.
The pages numbers are designated as I-1 through I-xxx, II-1 through
II-xxx, and III-1 through III-xxx.

I need to create one (1) index for all three volumes (this I have
already done) but , and here is my problem, I need the index entry page
numbers to represent the I-, II-, and III- prefix designations.

So instead of
Jones, John Coffin, 1

I need
Jones, John Coffin, I-1

Anyone haver any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Idea #0: don't do this unless this long document is really printed in
three separate volumes. In a 3000 page (single) book, looking up page
714 (found in an index or TOC) is very easy. Looking up page II-595 is a
lot more work!

Idea #1: this _should_ work by default, if you make sure that a mere
PAGE field on any given page does indeed show "II-595." You need to
"include chapter number" in your page number (and for that, you need a
heading numbered by Word with I, II, III).

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |