Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tammy tammy is offline

Default Stopping the page numbering in the middle of a document.

I am working on a document that I only want the page numbering to go only
part way through. But I don't find anything in help that tells how to stop
numbering without deleting the numbering on the previous pages. I tried
deleting the individual page numbers but that deletes them all. Can anyone
help me or can it even be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

You don't say what version of Word you're using, but in most versions you
need to insert a section break (Insert - Break - Next Page) at the point you
want page numbers to stop. Then go into the header or footer (wherever your
page numbers are) and make sure that "Link to Previous" is NOT checked. Then
you can delete the page numbers from the section that you want.

I hope this helps.

Fred

"Tammy" wrote:

I am working on a document that I only want the page numbering to go only
part way through. But I don't find anything in help that tells how to stop
numbering without deleting the numbering on the previous pages. I tried
deleting the individual page numbers but that deletes them all. Can anyone
help me or can it even be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tammy tammy is offline

Thank you both very much. I am using Word 2003. I tried what you what you
suggested I could not find any way to clear the page numbers. I could
continue with different page numbers starting at 1 again but nothing to clear
page numbers. When I tried to delete the page number, it deleted them all.

"Peter A" wrote:

In article ,
says...
I am working on a document that I only want the page numbering to go only
part way through. But I don't find anything in help that tells how to stop
numbering without deleting the numbering on the previous pages. I tried
deleting the individual page numbers but that deletes them all. Can anyone
help me or can it even be done?

Your page numbers are in a header or footer, right? If not, they should
be. Then you can insert a section break where you want the numbering to
stop. Put the cursor after the break, view Headers/Footers, uncouple
from the previous section, and remove the page number.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As both Peter and Idaho said, you must be in the header for the first
page of the second section (the one where you want no page numbers),
disconnect it from the first section (the button on the Headers
toolbar that has an arrow pointing left), and then delete the page
number just like deleting any other character. (If it's in a text box,
delete the text box and its contents.)

On Mar 31, 1:03*pm, Tammy wrote:
Thank you both very much. *I am using Word 2003. *I tried what you what you
suggested I could not find any way to clear the page numbers. *I could
continue with different page numbers starting at 1 again but nothing to clear
page numbers. *When I tried to delete the page number, it deleted them all.

"Peter A" wrote:
In article ,
says...
I am working on a document that I only want the page numbering to go only
part way through. *But I don't find anything in help that tells how to stop
numbering without deleting the numbering on the previous pages. *I tried
deleting the individual page numbers but that deletes them all. *Can anyone
help me or can it even be done?

Your page numbers are in a header or footer, right? If not, they should
be. Then you can insert a section break where you want the numbering to
stop. Put the cursor after the break, view Headers/Footers, uncouple
from the previous section, and remove the page number.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers
www.tech-word.com-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tammy tammy is offline

I want to thank everyone who helped me. I was just missing where the button
on the header/footer tool bar was and I kept thinking it was something very
simple and it was. I just could not get my mind around it. Thank everyone
so much.