Joan NYC

Default TOC based on PageRef

I am working in Word 2002. I want to create a TOC from Header. I know I
cannot do this the traditional way so I have bookmarked the header text. I
then used REF for the Header Text and PageRef for the Page #ing. However
each PageRef returns "1". There are odd and even section breaks in doc. I
have done this before successfully (in Word 97) and can't figure out what I
must be doing incorrectly. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joan NYC

Thanks Suzanne

The funny thing is that I had it work on a document once before that I have
saved here...... this was in 97. I am going to make an attempt to disect it
again. Possibly I performed some other "magic" to make it work.

"Joan NYC" wrote in message
I am working in Word 2002. I want to create a TOC from Header. I know I
cannot do this the traditional way so I have bookmarked the header text.

then used REF for the Header Text and PageRef for the Page #ing. However
each PageRef returns "1". There are odd and even section breaks in doc.

have done this before successfully (in Word 97) and can't figure out what

must be doing incorrectly. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Joan NYC

On another look of the document I realized it did not work in that case
either. This was several years ago and I now remember that I had somewhat of
an "arguement" with the person in charge of this doc regarding how you could
not get this to work! The heat is getting to me. Thanks again.

"Joan NYC" wrote in message
I am working in Word 2002. I want to create a TOC from Header. I know I
cannot do this the traditional way so I have bookmarked the header text.

then used REF for the Header Text and PageRef for the Page #ing. However
each PageRef returns "1". There are odd and even section breaks in doc.

have done this before successfully (in Word 97) and can't figure out what

must be doing incorrectly. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks for the confirmation.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

A PageRef to a header will always fail because a header by definition
appears on more than one page.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.