Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
profk profk is offline

Default Sorting a list with tabs

I am working on an index for a book. To do so, in Word 7, I have created a
list with primary terms. Following each primary term, are indented
sub-entries. For example:

Race
Ideas about
And imperial prestige

empire
expansion of
law and
tensions of
Spains

How can I use the sort button to correctly alphabetize the main entries (in
my example, empire would come before race) while also alphabetizing the
sub-entries under each main entry? When I press sort, the indented
sub-entries get shifted around.

--
profk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Subentries are sorted alphabetically. If you are using Word's Index feature,
you'll have to live with that.

http://word.mvps.org

"profk" wrote in message
news
I am working on an index for a book. To do so, in Word 7, I have created a
list with primary terms. Following each primary term, are indented
sub-entries. For example:

Race
Ideas about
And imperial prestige

empire
expansion of
law and
tensions of
Spains

How can I use the sort button to correctly alphabetize the main entries
(in
my example, empire would come before race) while also alphabetizing the
sub-entries under each main entry? When I press sort, the indented
sub-entries get shifted around.

--
profk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
profk profk is offline

I am not using Word to create the index as my manuscript is in XML. I am
simply using Word to create the list of terms.
--
profk

On Apr 22, 12:20 pm, profk wrote:
I am working on an index for a book. To do so, in Word 7, I have created a
list with primary terms. Following each primary term, are indented
sub-entries. For example:

Race
Ideas about
And imperial prestige

empire
expansion of
law and
tensions of
Spains

How can I use the sort button to correctly alphabetize the main entries (in
my example, empire would come before race) while also alphabetizing the
sub-entries under each main entry? When I press sort, the indented
sub-entries get shifted around.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
profk profk is offline

I am not using Word to create the index.

So, can you help with alphabetizing a list without reorganizing sub-entries?

Thanks.
--
profk

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Subentries are sorted alphabetically. If you are using Word's Index feature,
you'll have to live with that.

http://word.mvps.org

"profk" wrote in message
news
I am working on an index for a book. To do so, in Word 7, I have created a
list with primary terms. Following each primary term, are indented
sub-entries. For example:

Race
Ideas about
And imperial prestige

empire
expansion of
law and
tensions of
Spains

How can I use the sort button to correctly alphabetize the main entries
(in
my example, empire would come before race) while also alphabetizing the
sub-entries under each main entry? When I press sort, the indented
sub-entries get shifted around.

--
profk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you use outline levels to create your index, you can then sort it in
Outline view (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm).

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Subentries are sorted alphabetically. If you are using Word's Index
feature,
you'll have to live with that.

http://word.mvps.org

"profk" wrote in message
news
I am working on an index for a book. To do so, in Word 7, I have created
list with primary terms. Following each primary term, are indented
sub-entries. For example:

Race
Ideas about
And imperial prestige

empire
expansion of
law and
tensions of
Spains

How can I use the sort button to correctly alphabetize the main entries
(in
my example, empire would come before race) while also alphabetizing the
sub-entries under each main entry? When I press sort, the indented
sub-entries get shifted around.

--
profk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I got to wondering whether you can sort in Outline View, but I don't
have any suitable documents on hand to check with.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Subentries are sorted alphabetically. If you are using Word's Index
feature,
you'll have to live with that.

http://word.mvps.org

news I am working on an index for a book. To do so, in Word 7, I have created

Tabs and Sorting gatz Page Layout 5 November 27th 06 11:33 PM
Sorting a List A-Z Wordless Tables 2 October 29th 06 10:01 PM
sorting list popcorn73 Page Layout 1 September 21st 06 10:26 PM
Sorting a mailing list harvdog Mailmerge 1 March 13th 06 09:10 PM
sorting list John Andersen New Users 2 December 10th 04 10:47 PM