Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julie Julie is offline

Default Can not open Word attachments from emails

I don't know why this is happening or how I can fix it but when ever I get a
Word doc sent as an attachment through email it says it can not open that it
might be a corrupt flie. I can send the same attachment to another compter
and get it to open. I do have Vista Home. Thanks to anyone that can help me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bobbi Bobbi is offline

Julie, I have been having asimilar problem lately. I have Windows XP and
Microsoft Word 2003. My system was recently updated with Service Pack 3 and
that is when the problem began. I cannot open any attachments. I read an
article in the Washington Post that stated that Microsoft is having this
issue with Service Pack 3 and it is blocking attachments because of a
possible hacking issue. The article stated that MS does not currently have a
fix for it. When I contacted MS, I was told that I could contact (and pay
for) an MS professional about it or post on this webgroup. There was no
admission that this is an MS problem, and the implication was that it is my
computer. PLEASE, IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS ISSUE AND CAN ANYONE HELP US???

"Julie" wrote:

I don't know why this is happening or how I can fix it but when ever I get a
Word doc sent as an attachment through email it says it can not open that it
might be a corrupt flie. I can send the same attachment to another compter
and get it to open. I do have Vista Home. Thanks to anyone that can help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think some of this behaviour is probably due to timing issues so I just
don't bother any more and instead, I open Word and then double click on the
file that I may want to open, whether it be in via Windows Explorer or an
attachment to an email message.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Julie" wrote:

I don't know why this is happening or how I can fix it but when ever I
get a
Word doc sent as an attachment through email it says it can not open that
it
might be a corrupt flie. I can send the same attachment to another
compter
and get it to open. I do have Vista Home. Thanks to anyone that can
help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Could it be that you are trying to open a Word 2007 document with an earlier
version of Word? If so, you need to have the Compatibility Pack installed.
See

Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Julie" wrote in message
I don't know why this is happening or how I can fix it but when ever I get
Word doc sent as an attachment through email it says it can not open that
it
might be a corrupt flie. I can send the same attachment to another
compter
and get it to open. I do have Vista Home. Thanks to anyone that can help
me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott Scott is offline

I have the same problem, but mine says "This file could not be found, then
gives a location. I can get around this by saving the attachment to a folder,
then opening it and it works perfectly, so obviously the doc. can be found. I
shouldn't have to do this extra few steps to open an attachment.I'm not sure
if this is exactly the same, but if anyone has a suggestion, please let me
know.

"Julie" wrote:

I don't know why this is happening or how I can fix it but when ever I get a
Word doc sent as an attachment through email it says it can not open that it
might be a corrupt flie. I can send the same attachment to another compter
and get it to open. I do have Vista Home. Thanks to anyone that can help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bobbi Bobbi is offline

Thanks, Tony. Yes, it appears that is what was happening. I have downloaded
the file that unblocks the Word documents and now most of the attachments I
had trouble with earlier are accessible. I have had some exceptions, though,
and I saved the document to my computer and then I was able to open it. I
hope this helps Julie and anyone else who, like us, has been frustrated with
this issue. Could Microsoft be making this so difficult for us who have the
2003 version of Word so that we give up and buy the 2007 version? I almost
did.

Bobbi

"Julie" wrote in message
I don't know why this is happening or how I can fix it but when ever I get
Word doc sent as an attachment through email it says it can not open that
it
might be a corrupt flie. I can send the same attachment to another
compter
and get it to open. I do have Vista Home. Thanks to anyone that can help
me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott Scott is offline

Unfortunately I'm using Word 2007, and the word docs. that come attahed seem
to be the older ones, doc. vice docx. Is there maybe a box somewhere I forgot
to check?
Thanks
SAcott

"Julie" wrote in message
I don't know why this is happening or how I can fix it but when ever I get
Word doc sent as an attachment through email it says it can not open that
it
might be a corrupt flie. I can send the same attachment to another
compter
and get it to open. I do have Vista Home. Thanks to anyone that can help
me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See €śInformation about certain file types that are blocked after you install
Office 2003 Service Pack 3€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938810
(applies to Office 2007 as well).

http://word.mvps.org