Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft mkraft is offline

Default How tell whether footnote reference is a reference v. cross-refere

Footnote 'references' look the same as 'cross-references' to the same
footnotes. I understand the logic there -- you want more than one reference
to the same footnote, one that will also update with any removal of existing
footnotes, or addition of new ones.

But how can you be sure whether you are looking at the footnote or the
cross-reference?

Is there any other way besides searching/hunting for the first instance of
each footnote number (or letter, etc.)? In a complex table with many
footnotes and cross-references to footnotes, that can become rather tedious.

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft mkraft is offline

Hmm, I don't know what the problem is (i.e., no replies). Maybe my post
wasn't clear.

OK, second try:

If you see a footnote number -- e.g., in a table column -- how can you tell
whether it's the original footnote reference or a cross-reference (to the
same footnote as the original footnote reference)? For example, a
superscripted number 4 -- it could be a footnote (i.e., footnote 4), but it
could also be a cross-reference that was created to refer to footnote 4.

These will look exactly the same, so how, if at all, can you tell you've got
the 'footnote' and not the 'cross reference' to the footnote?

Thanks.

------------------
"mkraft" wrote:

Footnote 'references' look the same as 'cross-references' to the same
footnotes. I understand the logic there -- you want more than one reference
to the same footnote, one that will also update with any removal of existing
footnotes, or addition of new ones.

But how can you be sure whether you are looking at the footnote or the
cross-reference?

Is there any other way besides searching/hunting for the first instance of
each footnote number (or letter, etc.)? In a complex table with many
footnotes and cross-references to footnotes, that can become rather tedious.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

They actually don't look the same. The footnote reference has a dotted box
around it; the cross-reference does not have the box.

http://word.mvps.org

"mkraft" wrote:

Footnote 'references' look the same as 'cross-references' to the same
footnotes. I understand the logic there -- you want more than one
reference
to the same footnote, one that will also update with any removal of
existing
footnotes, or addition of new ones.

But how can you be sure whether you are looking at the footnote or the
cross-reference?

Is there any other way besides searching/hunting for the first instance
of
each footnote number (or letter, etc.)? In a complex table with many
footnotes and cross-references to footnotes, that can become rather
tedious.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft mkraft is offline

Default How tell whether footnote reference is a reference v. cross-re

They actually don't look the same. The footnote reference has a dotted box
around it; the cross-reference does not have the box.

I haven't noticed that but will check and post a follow-up. Possibly I've
missed it because the table is so complex and in a very small (6-pt.) font
size.

Is this contrasting display always evident or does some 'preference' or
other menu item have to be checked in order to see the dotted box around the
original footnote?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This is standard; I would have thought it might be affected by the "text
boundaries" setting, but it is not. If the references are very small, you
can use a higher Zoom. Many users erroneously believe that they have two
footnote 5s and no 6 (or maybe it's the other way around) because the
references, especially when complicated by the bounding box, display so
purely at 100% Zoom.

http://word.mvps.org

"mkraft" wrote in message
They actually don't look the same. The footnote reference has a dotted
box
around it; the cross-reference does not have the box.

I haven't noticed that but will check and post a follow-up. Possibly I've
missed it because the table is so complex and in a very small (6-pt.) font
size.

Is this contrasting display always evident or does some 'preference' or
other menu item have to be checked in order to see the dotted box around
the
original footnote?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
mkraft mkraft is offline

The footnote reference has a dotted box
around it; the cross-reference does not have the box.

I am not seeing this on my screen -- i.e., there is nothing distinguishing
the actual footnote reference from cross-references to the same footnote.

Is the 'dotted box' something that was added in post-Word 2003 versions?

Thanks.