Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
seb seb is offline

Default Opening a word doc w/o showing markups

I have a document that is constantly changed because its used as a base
document. Now every time its opened it shows the mark ups people have done,
I have done some research and have done whats suggested such as; going into
the security section and unticking (and ticking) to show mark-ups when
opening box, I have also seen something mentioned to accept changes, that box
isnt available to press as well as the track changes (which isnt on). I
want to just open the document normally without all the changes, without
having to tick show Final.

Let me know if you have any suggestions

Thanks 

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have several suggestions:

1. Hiding markup is not the same as removing it. To actually get rid of it,
you need to Accept All Changes in Document (not just set the view to Final).
If there are no changes to accept, then perhaps the document contains
comments? You'll need to Delete All Comments in Document.

2. Sounds to me like you shouldn't be tracking changes in the first place,
so turn Track Changes off (if it is on).

3. The main problem, though, is that you're trying to use a document as a
template. Create a template instead (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm) and the
problem won't arise.

"seb" wrote in message
I have a document that is constantly changed because its used as a base
document. Now every time its opened it shows the mark ups people have

done,
I have done some research and have done whats suggested such as; going

into
the security section and unticking (and ticking) to show mark-ups when
opening box, I have also seen something mentioned to accept changes, that

box
isnt available to press as well as the track changes (which isnt on). I
want to just open the document normally without all the changes, without
having to tick show Final.

Let me know if you have any suggestions

Thanks 

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Penny Stockley Penny Stockley is offline

I have a similar if not the same problem. We use markup and track changes
options on most of our documents. However most of the time that I wish to
read a document I wish to see it with the markup hidden.

At present documents always open as 'Show Final with Markup'. So I have to
select the 'Show Final' for each document. I have put the Show menu as an
option on my tool bar to make this process quicker, however it is still a
pain, particularly as after I have changed to Show Final' I then have to
change the display to Whole Page width to increase the size of display. I
know I could create a macro to do all this.

Does anyone know of a way that I could set 'Show Final' as my default option?

"seb" wrote in message
I have a document that is constantly changed because its used as a base
document. Now every time its opened it shows the mark ups people have

done,
I have done some research and have done whats suggested such as; going

into
the security section and unticking (and ticking) to show mark-ups when
opening box, I have also seen something mentioned to accept changes, that

box
isnt available to press as well as the track changes (which isnt on). I
want to just open the document normally without all the changes, without
having to tick show Final.

Let me know if you have any suggestions

Thanks 

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can disable the feature (Tools | Options | Security) to "Make hidden
markup visible when opening or saving," but many users report that this does
not keep Word from opening in Final Showing Markup view.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I have several suggestions:

1. Hiding markup is not the same as removing it. To actually get rid of

it,
you need to Accept All Changes in Document (not just set the view to

Final).
If there are no changes to accept, then perhaps the document contains
comments? You'll need to Delete All Comments in Document.

2. Sounds to me like you shouldn't be tracking changes in the first

place,
so turn Track Changes off (if it is on).

3. The main problem, though, is that you're trying to use a document as

template. Create a template instead (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm) and
the
problem won't arise.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"seb" wrote in message
I have a document that is constantly changed because its used as a

base
document. Now every time its opened it shows the mark ups people have

done,
I have done some research and have done whats suggested such as;

going
into
the security section and unticking (and ticking) to show mark-ups when
opening box, I have also seen something mentioned to accept changes,

that
box
isnt available to press as well as the track changes (which isnt

on). I
want to just open the document normally without all the changes,

without
having to tick show Final.

Let me know if you have any suggestions

Thanks 

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Penny Stockley[_2_] Penny Stockley[_2_] is offline

No that didn't make any difference. I have also tried changing the Show
setting in my Normal.dot file to 'Show Final' That doesn't work either, in
fact I don't think the information is stored in the Normal.dot file.

"seb" wrote in message
I have a document that is constantly changed because its used as a

base
document. Now every time its opened it shows the mark ups people have
done,
I have done some research and have done whats suggested such as;

going
into
the security section and unticking (and ticking) to show mark-ups when
opening box, I have also seen something mentioned to accept changes,

that
box
isnt available to press as well as the track changes (which isnt

on). I
want to just open the document normally without all the changes,

without
having to tick show Final.

Let me know if you have any suggestions

Thanks 

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The best I can figure, (a) if a document contains markup, it's always going
to open that way, and (b) if the Reviewing toolbar is displayed, it's always
going to be in Final Showing Markup view. But see Review Toolbar Annoyance
at http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=221 for one
issue that might be involved.