Excel Worksheet Object resizes in Word when I edit/open it

Old December 6th 07, 05:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Size matters

Default Excel Worksheet Object resizes in Word when I edit/open it

I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to use
the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable (either
within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).
It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word when
edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a few
seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from expanding?
Thanks.
Old December 7th 07, 09:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Henk57[_141_]

It depends how you insert the Excel sheet. As you describe I think you
embed it, as you call Excel from within Word.
My approach would be to link the Excel sheet to Word dynamically. In
Word 2003, select the table (cell range) you want to copy to Word in
Excel, Copy, and go to Word. Then Edit/Paste Special and tick Paste
link, and select under As: Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object.
Resize as needed.
Make any changes in the Excel sheet and these are automatically
reflected in the Word table (You might have to right-click the Word
table and choose Update link). There is a price to pay, though: the
Word file will be significantly increase in size so if you do this with
many tables it might become impractable.

--
Henk57
Old December 10th 07, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Size matters

Thank you for your reply, while it has provided a differrent and cleaner way
to inser the excel worksheet I am still getting the problem with it resizing
in word. When I now double click the worksheet in Word it opens in Excel. If
I edit and save it and then update the worksheet in Word it stretches in size
and goes off the page.

Any ideas?

Old December 17th 07, 10:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Henk57[_155_]

-

Size matters;2515701 Wrote: -
I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need
use
the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be
editable
(either
within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).
It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word
when

edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a
few

seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using
undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from
expanding?
Thanks.-

--
Henk57
-

Make sure you have the aspect ratio locked. You can do this in Format
Object (check both "lock aspect ratio" in the Size tab, and "Relative
to original picture size").
If you have dynamically linked, it's not necessary to call Excel from
within Word, but open the source (xls) file. Then make the changes,
and the Word document shd reflect them without changing the size of the
table.

--
Henk57
Old February 7th 08, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfox

The problem is not corrected with this. The next time the link is updated
the worksheet (object) is resized incorrectly again. I have tried many
things and nothing seems to correct this problem. If you special paste the
worksheet in as a metfile picture it doesn't resize but will not print
borders and lines correctly. This worked previously in Word 2000 but does
not work properly in 2003. Is this the case in 2007 too?

-

Old February 7th 08, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfox

Now do you know a way to center the spreadsheet between the margins without
using the centering option that appears to cause the resizing issue?

Jfox

-

Old February 7th 08, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfox

Henk57 -

I stand corrected on my previous statement that your solution doesn't work.
It does work if you keep the in line with text provision. Centering the
spreadsheet seems to be the problem. It is not as pretty as when you can
center the spreadsheet but it does keep Word from resizing the spreadsheet.

Thanks for your information.

jfox

-

Old July 23rd 08, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Taylor Bryant

Default Excel Worksheet Object resizes in Word when Iedit/open it - Size matter

Screwy workaround - I do a lot of this linking.

Copy the cells (in excel)

In word

Paste speciallinkedas picture

'Will probably default to inline pic, I usually want floating

Right clickFormat object'Size' tab
'In mine, it always pastes cells scaled at 98% height, 105% width, [with charts, not a problem]
Uncheck 'Lock Aspect Ratio'
Select 'OK'

Right clickFormat object'Size' tab
Change height to 100%, width to 100%
Select 'OK'

Right clickFormat object'Size' tab
Check 'Lock Aspect Ratio'
Select 'OK'

You have to do these three steps discretely - and manually (I have had no luck changing these settings via VBA, except using sendkeys).

If you do these three, then you can go back in, adjust to whatever scale you need (say 90%/90%) and when updating the link, the size will not reset and go all screwy.

Note: if you "Change Source" via EditLinks you will have to repeat the above process.

8 months better late than never!
Old September 9th 08, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jan

Default Excel Worksheet Object resizes in Word when I edit/open it - Si

Taylor,

I want the object size to remain at 100%, the scale changes everytime I open
the Word document. For each linked excel object I have to go to format
Object, Size and reset. It resets to 100%. The locked ratio is not checked
and the relative to original picture is not checked.

Old September 7th 17, 04:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected]

On Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 12:14:00 AM UTC-5, Size matters wrote:
I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to use
the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable (either
within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).
It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word when
edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a few
seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from expanding?
Thanks.

Same thing is happening to me. I've read a lot of forums and tried some of the fixes, but nothing was working. For some reason I began having the same problem with embedded excel sheets in MS Word docs that previously were working fine, so I began troubleshooting issues outside of MS Word/Excel. When I disconnected the laptop from the docking station and tested the embedded excel sheets, the tables reverted to normal. So, although I don't fully understand the root cause, it appears to be connected with display settings. Try adjusting display settings or disconnecting your laptop from the monitor and then open and close the embedded Excel sheet and see if that affects the distortion.