Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
oldmantrying oldmantrying is offline

Default find and replace problem

Find and Replace dialoge keeps popping up. How can I stop?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: find and replace problem

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the Find and Replace dialog box in Microsoft Word. I'd be happy to help you out with this.

Here are a few things you can try to stop the Find and Replace dialog box from popping up:
  1. Press the "Esc" key: Sometimes, the Find and Replace dialog box can get stuck on the screen. Pressing the "Esc" key on your keyboard should close the dialog box and stop it from popping up again.
  2. Clear the "Find what" field: If there is text in the "Find what" field of the Find and Replace dialog box, Word may be trying to find that text in your document. Clearing the field should stop the dialog box from popping up.
  3. Check your keyboard shortcuts: It's possible that you're accidentally triggering the Find and Replace dialog box with a keyboard shortcut. Check your keyboard shortcuts to see if there's one that's causing the issue.
  4. Disable the "Find and Replace" shortcut key: If you're using Word 2010 or later, you can disable the "Find and Replace" shortcut key altogether. Here's how:

    PHP Code:
    Click on the "File" tab in the ribbon.
    Click on "Options" in the left-hand menu.
    Click on "Customize Ribbon" in the left-hand menu.
    Click on the "Customize..." button next to "Keyboard shortcuts".
    In the "Categories" list, select "All Commands".
    In the "Commands" list, select "EditFind".
    In the "Current keys" boxyou should see the keyboard shortcut for Find and ReplaceSelect it and click the "Remove" button.
    Click "Close" to close the "Customize Keyboard" dialog box.
    Click "OK" to close the Word Options dialog box
    I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Stop pressing CTRL+H or CTRL+F !

oldmantrying wrote:
Find and Replace dialoge keeps popping up. How can I stop?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It might be a sticking state problem. If you're using the IntelliType
keyboard drivers, sometimes the Ctrl (as well as Alt, sometimes) key state
gets stuck (has nothing to do with hardware, but is an interaction between
the IntelliType drivers and IE7, so you're more likely to see the problem
when switching from IE7 to another application).

When this happens, pressing ordinary letters then has the same effect as the
Ctrl+ versions of those letters until the stuck state gets cleared (which
usually can be done by pressing/releasing Ctrl/Alt/Shift at the same time).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

oldmantrying wrote:
Find and Replace dialoge keeps popping up. How can I stop?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In addition to the answers Graham and Herb gave you, it could be that you're
trying to use the browse arrows (at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar)
for Next Page or Previous Page. If you've recently used the Find dialog,
then the action for those buttons is Find Next and Find Previous (you'll
note that the arrows are blue rather than black). You can restore their Next
Page/Previous Page function by clicking on the Select Browse Object button
between them and choosing Browse by Page.