Jameslp

Default Excel Link: Adding rows in Excel does not add cells in Word

If I have a table in Excel that is, for example, 4 rows by 2 columns, copy
this table and paste special an Excel link in Word, I have a linked table
displayed in Word. Now, if I change the table in Excel by adding a row so
that it is now 5 rows by 2 columns, the table in word still displays 4 rows
by 2 columns. Is there any way of having this change automatically (the
table view in Word expand to 5 rows by 2) without having to copy and paste
every table I change?

What is worse is if there are multiple tables from one Excel sheet pasted
(individually) into Word and you insert a row somewhere above them - the
tables in Word are all offset by one (i.e. the table header is moved down one
and you lose the bottom row of the table).

Any suggested solutions? I assume the solution includes creating dynamic
links rather than static links, but I'm not sure how.

Thanks in advance,
James

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?SmFtZXNscA==?=,

If I have a table in Excel that is, for example, 4 rows by 2 columns, copy
this table and paste special an Excel link in Word, I have a linked table
displayed in Word. Now, if I change the table in Excel by adding a row so
that it is now 5 rows by 2 columns, the table in word still displays 4 rows
by 2 columns. Is there any way of having this change automatically (the
table view in Word expand to 5 rows by 2) without having to copy and paste
every table I change?

Word pastes Excel links with a reference to the Sheet and the exact cell
range, in R1C1 syntax. Unlike Excel, Word knows NOTHING about relative cell
references; it's all absolute.

Best would be to assign a RANGE NAME to the table in Excel. After creating the
link, Alt+F9 to display the LINK field code. change the Sheet#!R1C1 reference
to the range name. Alt+F9 again, then F9 to force the update. Now the link
should display everything that's contained in the range name. This can be a
problem if you add rows to the end of a table (outside the range border), but
as long as you insert them within the table, Word should pick them up. And
adding rows above the table won't cause any problems at all.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Jameslp

Thank you for your swift reply, that's exactly what I'm looking for! What a
relief

James

Hi ?B?SmFtZXNscA==?=,