Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
bretsharon bretsharon is offline

Default Quick Bookmark Shift F5 WordPerfect Control+Shift+Q

I know about Shift F5, but I want a bookmark that does not change as I go
along and move about in the document, as Shift F5 appears to do. and I don's
want to have to give it a name....this takes too long.

In WordPerfect, you press Control+Shift+Q and it sets a bookmark wherever
the curser is. To go to that spot, you press Control+Q. That spot will
always be there no matter what. To change it, you press Control+Shift+Q
again at a new spot.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Word remember the previous 5 edit points. So if you need to remember a place
temporarily so that a Bookmark is overkill, create an edit say backspace to
delete a character and then Undo it.

Word should remember the point for that session or until you have performed
5 new edits elsewhere.

Also, have you checked out the DocMap function? It is excellent for fast
navigation around long documents.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"bretsharon" wrote in message
I know about Shift F5, but I want a bookmark that does not change as I go
along and move about in the document, as Shift F5 appears to do. and I
don's
want to have to give it a name....this takes too long.

In WordPerfect, you press Control+Shift+Q and it sets a bookmark wherever
the curser is. To go to that spot, you press Control+Q. That spot will
always be there no matter what. To change it, you press Control+Shift+Q
again at a new spot.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Terry Farrell wrote:

Also, have you checked out the DocMap function? It is excellent for
fast navigation around long documents.

on the DocMap, see:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/documentmap/index.html

Other potential workarounds: Edit | Go To, Outline View, and Browse Object.

More info on some of those he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingOLView.htm
http://daiya.mvps.org/browseobject.htm

Alternatively, ask in a Word Programming Group for someone to help you
write two macros that would replicate this feature.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Obviously, you can find it in WordPerfect.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

There is nothing comparable in Word. If you need this functionality,

then
you know where to find it.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"bretsharon" wrote in message
I know about Shift F5, but I want a bookmark that does not change as I

go
along and move about in the document, as Shift F5 appears to do. and

don's
want to have to give it a name....this takes too long.

In WordPerfect, you press Control+Shift+Q and it sets a bookmark

wherever
the curser is. To go to that spot, you press Control+Q. That spot

will
always be there no matter what. To change it, you press

Control+Shift+Q
again at a new spot.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Getting too excited again g Three points it is.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I think you're mistaken, Terry. I think it's only the last three edit
points
(the fact that it's Shift+F5 may be suggesting five to you).

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You could create a couple macros to do this. Something like:

Sub AddBookmark()
ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Name:="StartHere"
End Sub

Sub GotoBookmark()
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="StartHere"
End Sub

Then you can assign Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+Shift+Q to them.

If you want to create these macros yourself, go to Tools/Macro/Record Macro
and record a macro for inserting your bookmark (Insert/Bookmark). Then
record another macro for using the Go To dialog box to navigate to the
bookmark.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out: