Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Li

Default What does "char" "char1" "char2" mean in styles in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

It's a good idea to type the actual question in the box
provided, and to include the version of Word you're
struggling with.

I'm guessing you have Word 2002 (Office XP)?

The "char" suffixes to style names indicate that a
paragraph style was applied to a text selection that did
not include a paragraph mark. Word takes this to mean that
you want to have character formatting with the character
attributes of that paragraph style. In the background, it
creates a character style and links it with the paragraph
style. Change the definition of one, and the definition of
the other changes.

The best way to avoid this is to make sure that *nothing*
is selected when applying a paragraph style (to a single
paragraph). Or that you've explicitly included a paragraph
mark (¶) in the selection.

Getting rid of the "char" styles can be tricky. You'll find
a macro that may help in the Tips section of my website.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LMo LMo is offline

Cindy,

Thanks for your tip on the Char macro. I am currently using your macro to
delete a single char style. However I am in need of a macro which will
remove more than 1 char. Can this be accomplished through use of a wildcard?
If not, do you have a suggestion on how to rid my docs of multiple char
styles?

Sub RemoveCharStyle()
Dim styl As Word.Style, doc As Word.Document
Set doc = ActiveDocument
Set styl = doc.Styles.Add(Name:="Style1")
On Error Resume Next
doc.Styles("Body Text_ACSSC Char").LinkStyle = styl
styl.Delete
End Sub
--
LMo