Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jo

Default Row height or distribution

I am trying to put together a table that has one long cell in the right
column, and two columns left of there which each have "x" number of rows. In
other words, it is as if I have a regular table with a bunch of rows, but the
rows of the right-most column are merged. So far so good. The 2 left column
cells will be filled in by hand on the printout, and the instructions on how
to do this is in the merged cell to the right.

The problem is that I can't get the rows in the two left-hand columns to
distribute evenly in height. I've tried the small-step advice I've seen here.
I've tried using the Cell Formatting button. I've told it to distribute rows
evenly while highlighting only those cells. It does the first one or two at a
different height and the rest at another height. I test-printed it, and it
really does that (it's not just on my screen).

I've tried setting the row height specifically to 30pt and made sure the
merged cell to the right doesn't have a specified height -- it still doesn't
do a consistent height in the rows. I've tried telling it to "distribute rows
evenly" -- both with and without specifying the row height -- still won't
work.

I've tried starting with one row and splitting the two columns into 9 rows
each. I've tried starting with 9 rows and merging the right-hand column into
one cell. I've tried adding and subtracting rows from the first two columns,
thinking it was having trouble sizing itself with the text in the merged
cell. Nothing seems to work. And to make matters worse, I have several of
these tables to do with varying amounts of text in the right-hand long cell,
so I can't even create one table and just copy it for the others. I'll have
to tinker with each one, I guess.

This is making me nuts! Please, please, can someone help me with this? :-)

Jo
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

What problem did you encounter when starting with a 2 column by 9 row table
and merging the cells in the second column?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP