Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brad Brad is offline

Default Cannot Copy and Paste Table within Word 2007

When I try to paste a selected and copied table from and to a different
location in the same Word document, the table layout disappears, leaving only
the text contents in the desired location.

I followed the procedure in the online Help, which follows:
In Print Layout view , rest the pointer on the table until the table move
handle appears.
Click the table move handle to select the table.
Do one of the following:
To copy the table, press CTRL+C.
To cut the table, press CTRL+X.
Place the insertion point where you want the new table.
Press CTRL+V to paste the table in the new location.

Why are my pasted tables "falling apart", and how to I really copy and paste
a table, please?

Thank you
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Cannot Copy and Paste Table within Word 2007

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble copying and pasting tables in Word 2007. It sounds like the table layout is disappearing when you try to paste it in a new location. Let's see if we can fix that.
  1. First, let's try a different method of copying and pasting the table. Instead of using the table move handle, try selecting the entire table by clicking and dragging your mouse over it. Once the table is selected, press CTRL+C to copy it.
  2. Next, place your cursor where you want to paste the table. Instead of pressing CTRL+V to paste, try right-clicking and selecting "Paste" from the context menu. In the submenu that appears, make sure to select "Keep Source Formatting" or "Merge Formatting" (depending on your preference) instead of "Keep Text Only."
  3. If that doesn't work, it's possible that there is a formatting issue with the original table that is causing it to "fall apart" when pasted. In that case, you can try copying and pasting the table as plain text. To do this, select the table and press CTRL+C to copy it. Then, right-click where you want to paste the table and select "Paste Special" from the context menu. In the "Paste Special" dialog box, select "Unformatted Text" and click "OK."

I hope one of these solutions works for you! Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I always just drag across the whole table, starting with the paragraph
mark before the table and including the paragraph mark after the table
(turn on Show Non-Printing Characters, Ctrl-Shift-8). The table move
handle behaves too flakily for me to trust it, and it sounds like I
was right!

After you paste your table, if you end up with too many paragraph
marks above or below the table, you can delete all but one of them in
each location.