Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Roundy Roundy is offline

Default master document and subdocuments adding pages

Have 13 word documents I am working on putting into one master document so
they can be printed as a group. My first document is one page, the second
document is one page, and the third document is one page. I open the first
document and go to outline view, go to the end of the document, and select
insert subdocument. Then I add the second 1 page document and all is still
well. I then insert the third page, and that is where things go wrong, I get
a 4th page with the last little bit of the 3 document on it and the layout
does not look the same. I looked through the page setup on the documents to
see if maybe that was the issue, but cannot seem to resolve the issue.

TIA
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Master documents should be avoided since they can cause corruption;
see http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm.

Instead, use Insert | File. In the Insert File dialog box, click the
desired file. Then click the arrow next to the Insert button, and
choose "Insert as Link." Repeat for the other documents.

Word adds INCLUDETEXT fields to the target document. After you've
modified the source files, you can select all and press F9 in the
target document to see the updated information. Conversely, you can
change the text inside the fields in the target document and press
Ctrl+Shift+F7 to save changes back to the source file.

To preserve section formatting when using Insert File, make sure to
add continuous section breaks at the beginning and end of each source
file. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Roundy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Um91bmR5?=,

Have 13 word documents I am working on putting into one master document so
they can be printed as a group. My first document is one page, the second
document is one page, and the third document is one page. I open the first
document and go to outline view, go to the end of the document, and select
insert subdocument. Then I add the second 1 page document and all is still
well. I then insert the third page, and that is where things go wrong, I get
a 4th page with the last little bit of the 3 document on it and the layout
does not look the same. I looked through the page setup on the documents to
see if maybe that was the issue, but cannot seem to resolve the issue.

One of the "basics" for using the Master-/Subdocument feature is to base all the
files involved on the same template. This way, they have the same margins, share
formatting, etc. My guess would be that Document 3 may have wider margins or
perhaps a different font size or paragraph settings. So when it gets imported
into the "Master" document it lays out differently because different formatting
is applied.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
vabulous vabulous is offline

On that note...I have a source file from which I'd like to create multiple
target files using the Insert | File functionality.

The source file would be used to update/maintain the basic steps within the
target files. However, each target file would be unique in that there are
steps that are not included in the source file or in the other target files.

The source file would always be used to update the target files, but I don't
want to the source file to overwrite anything that may be specifically added
to a target file. Is this doable with what is available?

Thanks in advance,
vab

"Roundy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?dmFidWxvdXM=?=,

On that note...I have a source file from which I'd like to create multiple
target files using the Insert | File functionality.

The source file would be used to update/maintain the basic steps within the
target files. However, each target file would be unique in that there are
steps that are not included in the source file or in the other target files.

The source file would always be used to update the target files, but I don't
want to the source file to overwrite anything that may be specifically added
to a target file. Is this doable with what is available?

It's only doable if what you're adding is not within anything you've linked in.
IOW, if you'd set up each step in a separate bookmark in the source file, then
insert each bookmark individually, if the user inserts additional steps between
each link, they would be maintained.

But if you try to insert anything within the linked text it will be lost as
soon as the link is updated.