Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
OboroGuy34 OboroGuy34 is offline

Default Please, PLEASE add the ability to add PMS spot colors to Word.

Every day people use word to give to commercial printing companys to have to
piece together. One of the downfalls of word is the ability to produce spot
colors. When a .pdf file made from a 80-page word document has to be opened
in Adobe Illustrator (page by page), recolored, resaved and re-pieced
together, it is a waste of our time and, to me, makes microsoft really like
the lower end of the software world. Even Microsoft Publisher has been
improved some.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

So why are you farting around with Word, given that it won't do what it's
not designed to do?

"OboroGuy34" wrote in message
Every day people use word to give to commercial printing companys to have
piece together. One of the downfalls of word is the ability to produce
spot
colors. When a .pdf file made from a 80-page word document has to be
opened
in Adobe Illustrator (page by page), recolored, resaved and re-pieced
together, it is a waste of our time and, to me, makes microsoft really
like
the lower end of the software world. Even Microsoft Publisher has been
improved some.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

With all due respect, the problem may simply be that you have your workflow
*reversed*. If you finish the graphics with the appropriate software
*before* placing them in your _word_ processing file, insert them as Linked
rather than Embedded & supply the graphics at press time there isn't a
commercial service worth using that should have a problem.

Your comparison to Publisher is without foundation because Word & Publisher
are two different types of software designed for different purposes... You
might as well criticize Word because it doesn't have the facility to
calculate as Excel does... Which is as ludicrous as criticizing Excel
because it can't do Footnotes or TOCs.

If you need professional page layout done in-house, you might do well to
spring for software intended for that purpose. Since you mention
Illustrator, do you have InDesign as well? If Publisher will suit your
needs, great - use it to combine the copy from Word with your graphics from
wherever... That's what it's for

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 11/18/06 3:42 AM, in article ,
"Jezebel" wrote:

So why are you farting around with Word, given that it won't do what it's
not designed to do?

"OboroGuy34" wrote in message
Every day people use word to give to commercial printing companys to have
piece together. One of the downfalls of word is the ability to produce
spot
colors. When a .pdf file made from a 80-page word document has to be
opened
in Adobe Illustrator (page by page), recolored, resaved and re-pieced
together, it is a waste of our time and, to me, makes microsoft really
like
the lower end of the software world. Even Microsoft Publisher has been
improved some.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...d=fef748a2-df2
d-4c58-846b-5e7ccf717bfc&dg=microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I have to come to the defense of OroboroGuy, the original poster. If you
read his preceding post that I answered, you'll see that his company *is* a
commercial printing service. His problem is that his customers hand him Word
files and expect him to make spot color separations from them. He's in a bad
situation, because he can't reasonably hand the file back to the customer
and say "start over and do it right", but Word doesn't have the tools to let
him do the job without expensive manual work.

I don't have experience as a commercial printer to be able to suggest a
better method. Maybe some of our other readers do. I know that MVP Klaus
Linke works for a printing firm, and he might have a suggestion.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jezebel" wrote:

So why are you farting around with Word, given that it won't do what
it's not designed to do?

"OboroGuy34" wrote in message
Every day people use word to give to commercial printing companys
to have to
piece together. One of the downfalls of word is the ability to
produce spot
colors. When a .pdf file made from a 80-page word document has to
be opened
in Adobe Illustrator (page by page), recolored, resaved and
re-pieced together, it is a waste of our time and, to me, makes
microsoft really like
the lower end of the software world. Even Microsoft Publisher has
been improved some.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see
the button, follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
and then click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...d=fef748a2-df2
d-4c58-846b-5e7ccf717bfc&dg=microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Thanks for pointing that out, Jay - I didn't see the other post until
somewhat later. Like you, I sympathize with his plight - to a certain
extent.

However, I have seen a number of commercial concerns seize upon such
situations as a 'value-added' opportunity to provide education, training &
consultative service to their clientele. In the majority of cases it not
only produces additional *immediate* revenue, but also helps solidify an
ongoing relationship that's more profitable for both parties. And in *all*
cases it has been a far more productive approach than simply whining about
the software not having features it has never been intended to include. The
unfortunate fact is that even if Word *did* have the features he wants to
see the odds are that without proper use by his clients the extent of
reworking on his end would be virtually the same... he'd just be able to do
it in Word
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
I have to come to the defense of OroboroGuy, the original poster. If you
read his preceding post that I answered, you'll see that his company *is* a
commercial printing service. His problem is that his customers hand him
Word files and expect him to make spot color separations from them. He's in
a bad situation, because he can't reasonably hand the file back to the
customer and say "start over and do it right", but Word doesn't have the
tools to let him do the job without expensive manual work.

I don't have experience as a commercial printer to be able to suggest a
better method. Maybe some of our other readers do. I know that MVP Klaus
Linke works for a printing firm, and he might have a suggestion.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

CyberTaz wrote:
[..]
The
unfortunate fact is that even if Word *did* have the features he wants to
see the odds are that without proper use by his clients the extent of
reworking on his end would be virtually the same... he'd just be able to do
it in Word

Good point!
Robert
--