dnewboldgsc

Default How do I embed and display text file objects?

I want to insert text file objects into my document and have Word display the
text from the files in my document. When I insert the object now, all I see
is an icon. I want to see the file content rather than the icon.
garfield-n-odie

Maybe use an INCLUDETEXT field instead of inserting a file
object? See
"Field codes: IncludeText field" for more information.

dnewboldgsc wrote:

I want to insert text file objects into my document and have Word display the
text from the files in my document. When I insert the object now, all I see
is an icon. I want to see the file content rather than the icon.

CyberTaz

A couple of other thoughts:

If you _do not_ want to edit the content after it's inserted, Open the file
in Word (you will have to select All Files or Text Files from the 'Files of
Type:' list at the bottom of the Open dialog box. Save & close the file using
Save As & set the file type to Word Document. Then go to InsertObject--From
File and insert the new Word version, making sure there is no check in the
box to Display as Icon.

You can also use the above technique to open the file in Word simply as a
Text File without saving it as a Word doc. Once opened, EditSelect All (or
Ctrl+A) and copy. Then go back to the Word doc and use EditPaste Special in
any of the ways listed. MS Office Word Object results as indicated above,
whereas the next two options in the list render the same as the process
described below (one pastes 'as is', the other pastes in the current text
format).

If you _do_ want the inserted content to be an editable part of the doc
you're inserting it into, start by placing your insertion point at the spot
in the Word document where you want the incoming content to go. Then go to
InsertFile and change the File Type as above and double-click the file's
icon to have the content copied in.

No offense to g-n-o, but I just hate to mess with fields if I don't have to.

Regards |:)