Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Smitty

Default Format a mail merge doc address 2 fields are needed insome ltrs

I have a bunch of letters and my address 2 field has a suite or apartment
number. I want the address 2 field to go below the address 1 field, but not
all of the letters reqiure an address 2 field. How do I avoid having a blank
space in the letters where address 2 should go, but there is no address 2 to
insert in that specific letter? If the field code is used in the main letter
before I merge it, once it's merged I have blank spaces in some letters
because there is no information for that field code. Please help...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use an If...then...Else... field that checks if address 2 is blank. If it
is, have it insert the next field. If it is not, have it insert address2
followed by a carriage return and the next field

{ IF { MERGEFIELD address2 } = "" { MERGEFIELD nextfield } { MERGEFIELD
address2 }¶
{ MERGEFIELD nextfield } }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Smitty" wrote in message
I have a bunch of letters and my address 2 field has a suite or apartment
number. I want the address 2 field to go below the address 1 field, but
not
all of the letters reqiure an address 2 field. How do I avoid having a
blank
space in the letters where address 2 should go, but there is no address 2
insert in that specific letter? If the field code is used in the main
letter
before I merge it, once it's merged I have blank spaces in some letters
because there is no information for that field code. Please help...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Smitty Smitty is offline

Default Format a mail merge doc address 2 fields are needed insome l

Thanks for the advice. I've revisited my letters and am still having a problem.

How do I do this? I tried to use the "If..Then...Else" Option in the
"Insert Word Field" Drop down menu from the Mail Merge Toolbar, but I must be
doing something wrong. I have 3 menus at the top: "Field Name" "Comparison"
and "Compare to". "Field Name" allows me to choose Address 2 and "Comaprison"
allows me to choose is blank, but the "Compare to" choice is not a drop down
menu, so I have to type something in there. And then below that is a blank
space for "Insert this text".

I tried to paste your { IF { MERGEFIELD address2 } = "" { MERGEFIELD
nextfield } { MERGEFIELD address2 }{ MERGEFIELD nextfield } } in, but I am
not getting the result I need. Please help again...

Thank you

"Smitty" wrote in message
I have a bunch of letters and my address 2 field has a suite or apartment
number. I want the address 2 field to go below the address 1 field, but
not
all of the letters reqiure an address 2 field. How do I avoid having a
blank
space in the letters where address 2 should go, but there is no address 2
insert in that specific letter? If the field code is used in the main
letter
before I merge it, once it's merged I have blank spaces in some letters
because there is no information for that field code. Please help...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It's usually easier to avoid Word's dialog box and insert all the field
codes yourself (at least when you start doing a bit more nesting). use
ctrl-F9 to insert each pair of the special "field braces" {}, and type
everything else using the usual keyboard keys. Use Alt-F9 to toggle between
"field view" and "field result/field preview view"

Peter Jamieson