Visio 2003

Default Macros disabled

Hi,
Under Win XP I run Office 2003. Starting Word 2003 I get the message "Macros
in this project are disabled. Contact online help of the host application".
How does one know what the host application could be? I also have Acrobat
Reader 6.0.3. Is that the trouble maker? The problem does not occur under
Windows 2000 Professional.
Thanks for a reply.
Danker
Shauna Kelly

Hi Danker

To change the macro security setting, in Word 2003, Tools Options
Security. Click Macro Security and choose an appropriate level. Most people
I know run with "Medium".

Acrobat is notorious for being troublesome. See
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Visio 2003" wrote in message
Hi,
Under Win XP I run Office 2003. Starting Word 2003 I get the message
"Macros
in this project are disabled. Contact online help of the host
application".
How does one know what the host application could be? I also have Acrobat
Reader 6.0.3. Is that the trouble maker? The problem does not occur under
Windows 2000 Professional.
Thanks for a reply.
Danker

Visio 2003

Hi Shauna,
Thank you. I will try the suggestions you offered, I checked out the "Adobe
link" and I'll check that - whether it works or not. I'll "report" back after
having some results!
Regards,
Danker

"Visio 2003" wrote in message
Hi,
Under Win XP I run Office 2003. Starting Word 2003 I get the message
"Macros
in this project are disabled. Contact online help of the host
application".
How does one know what the host application could be? I also have Acrobat
Reader 6.0.3. Is that the trouble maker? The problem does not occur under
Windows 2000 Professional.
Thanks for a reply.
Danker

Visio 2003

Shauny,

"Report": I put the template in the word startup folder. That didn't work as
(you told that) after less than a second the toolbar pops up again. So I
deleted the adobe startup macro from the office startup folder, and then no
more "macros disabled". Still have to try out the alternative macro with the
delay. Basically, it's not that I want to get rid of the toolbar, I want toi
get rid of the pop-up message "macros disabled". So there seems to be some
incompatibility between Word and Adobe?

Danker

"Visio 2003" wrote in message
Hi,
Under Win XP I run Office 2003. Starting Word 2003 I get the message
"Macros
in this project are disabled. Contact online help of the host
application".
How does one know what the host application could be? I also have Acrobat
Reader 6.0.3. Is that the trouble maker? The problem does not occur under
Windows 2000 Professional.
Thanks for a reply.
Danker

Graham Mayor

For Acrobat 6, you need to ensure you have the latest update from Adobe, for
that version, and that the add-in is installed in the correct folder.
Acrobat's add-ins are badly written and cause all sorts of grief. The link
on my web site to which you were directed provides a number of techniques
for controlling the add-in when problems occur. See which suits you.

"Visio 2003" wrote in message
Hi,
Under Win XP I run Office 2003. Starting Word 2003 I get the
message "Macros
in this project are disabled. Contact online help of the host
application".
How does one know what the host application could be? I also have
Acrobat Reader 6.0.3. Is that the trouble maker? The problem does
not occur under Windows 2000 Professional.
Thanks for a reply.
Danker

Danker Schaareman

Graham, so the cause of the popup message "Macros in this project are
disabled" is the Adobe add-in. The popup message does not come only if I move
the Adobe add-in out of the Office startup folder. Why does the add-in
"create" this popup message? "Macros disabled", yet my own macros stored in
normal.dot work as usual!

"Visio 2003" wrote in message
Hi,
Under Win XP I run Office 2003. Starting Word 2003 I get the
message "Macros
in this project are disabled. Contact online help of the host
application".
How does one know what the host application could be? I also have
Acrobat Reader 6.0.3. Is that the trouble maker? The problem does
not occur under Windows 2000 Professional.
Thanks for a reply.
Danker

Graham Mayor

The message comes from Word and is triggered by the add-in, presumably
because you don't have the security configured to trust the add-in. Add-ins
in the Office start-up folder are not automatically trusted. If you move the
add-in to the Word start-up folder it will be trsuted if you set security to
trust installed templates and add-ins - otherwise you have to set the
publisher (Adobe) as a trusted publisher and you normally get an option to
do this when the add-in is loaded - check Word Help on 'Trust Publisher'.