Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tomster Tomster is offline

Default Trying to allign three tables

Working with Word 2003. I have a page that has three tables on it.

Each of the tables varies a bit in terms of number of columns.

However, I want all three to be the same overall width... and all aligned to
the left margin (1").

Two of the tables are fine... the third defies all attempts to align it. It
is set to left align -no indents. It is set to the same width as the others.
But it is indented to the right just enough to be noticeable. When I click
and drag the left side of the table it goes in jumps (like it is alligning to
a grid) so I cannot get it to line up with the others unless I click
ctrl+left mouse+right mouse. I can then allign it with the others... but it
stays there for a split second... then jumps back to the orginal location.

The ruler across the top is different for this table compared to the other
tables, but again I have the same problem with the jump back if I try to
adjust these.

I have spent way too much time on this detail today, but we need to finish
this for publication. I must be missing something. Suggestions most
welcome.
--
Tomster
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Make sure that the table is not wrapped. If you've dragged it by the table
handle, it will be. On the Table tab of Table Properties, make sure text
wrapping is set to None. You can override the grid by pressing Alt while
dragging, but don't drag the table, just one of the column boundaries.

http://word.mvps.org

"Tomster" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

In addition to what Suzanne suggests, check to see whether the table/cell
margins are the same for all the tables.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Make sure that the table is not wrapped. If you've dragged it by the table
handle, it will be. On the Table tab of Table Properties, make sure text
wrapping is set to None. You can override the grid by pressing Alt while
dragging, but don't drag the table, just one of the column boundaries.

Working with Word 2003. I have a page that has three tables on it.

[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]
this for publication. I must be missing something. Suggestions most
welcome.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tomster Tomster is offline

Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes, Margins for tables are all the same, as well as the indent settings
(zero).
Wrap was off for all tables.

Alt was helpful for avoiding the snap to grid issue. Thank you.

However, I could only move the left side of the problem table to the right.
Moving it to the left with the Alt key being held down produced the same
bounce back to the undesired offset position.

I ended up copying some of the "correct" rows from the two "good" tables,
and pasting them into the offending table (these new rows held their left and
right margin settings)... I then deleted the bad rows and used merge and
insert commands to get the right number of columns.

Wish I had done that sooner.

From what you are saying, I should be able to pick left align, wrap off, and
set the width of the table... and this should align a table to the left
margin. That is the part that was just not happening... so I suspect that
there was some corruption in the specific table that was giving unpredictable
results.

If you have any other ideas as to what may have caused this, or settings I
may be missing, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thank you very much.
--
Tomster

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Make sure that the table is not wrapped. If you've dragged it by the table
handle, it will be. On the Table tab of Table Properties, make sure text
wrapping is set to None. You can override the grid by pressing Alt while
dragging, but don't drag the table, just one of the column boundaries.

Working with Word 2003. I have a page that has three tables on it.

[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]
this for publication. I must be missing something. Suggestions most
welcome.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I think you're right about the corruption. Sometimes you just have to throw
in the towel, give up trying to understand what is wrong, and do whatever
works.

http://word.mvps.org

"Tomster" wrote in message
Thank you for your suggestions.

Yes, Margins for tables are all the same, as well as the indent settings
(zero).
Wrap was off for all tables.

Alt was helpful for avoiding the snap to grid issue. Thank you.

However, I could only move the left side of the problem table to the
right.
Moving it to the left with the Alt key being held down produced the same
bounce back to the undesired offset position.

I ended up copying some of the "correct" rows from the two "good" tables,
and pasting them into the offending table (these new rows held their left
and
right margin settings)... I then deleted the bad rows and used merge and
insert commands to get the right number of columns.

Wish I had done that sooner.

From what you are saying, I should be able to pick left align, wrap off,
and