Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
abrielle abrielle is offline

Default My 2003 templates in Word 2007

I have just installed Word 2007 but would like to use all my personalized
templates from Word 2003.

I also had a customized toolbar in 2003 which I would like to bring across.
This toolbar always opened along with Word. It included buttons for all the
regularly used items, e.g. Open, Save, View Header and Footer and, most
useful, a button to open a document based on a particular template.

Is this possible, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Copy the templates into the template folder and use as before.

Add your shortcuts to the Quick Access Toolbar - it is much the easiest
solution.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"abrielle" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2007 but would like to use all my personalized
templates from Word 2003.

I also had a customized toolbar in 2003 which I would like to bring
across. This toolbar always opened along with Word. It included buttons
for all the regularly used items, e.g. Open, Save, View Header and Footer
and, most useful, a button to open a document based on a particular
template.

Is this possible, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you still have Word 2003 installed, you can transfer you custom toolbar
(sort of) to Word 2007. See http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm.
You can have a customized QAT for a given template as well.

http://word.mvps.org

"abrielle" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2007 but would like to use all my personalized
templates from Word 2003.

I also had a customized toolbar in 2003 which I would like to bring
across. This toolbar always opened along with Word. It included buttons
for all the regularly used items, e.g. Open, Save, View Header and Footer
and, most useful, a button to open a document based on a particular
template.

Is this possible, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
abrielle abrielle is offline

I don't have Word 2003 on my laptop now - just on my PC which, at the
moment, is still running XP. I do have my templates available, however, so I
guess I can use these.

Is is possible to somehow bring over my macros - I have recorded many over
the years to simplify tasks in Word 2003. I didn't save most of them in
Normal.dot but in a separate template.

"abrielle" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2007 but would like to use all my personalized
templates from Word 2003.

I also had a customized toolbar in 2003 which I would like to bring
across. This toolbar always opened along with Word. It included buttons
for all the regularly used items, e.g. Open, Save, View Header and Footer
and, most useful, a button to open a document based on a particular
template.

Is this possible, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Copy the template holding the macros into the Word Startup folder. They will
then be globally available.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"abrielle" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2007 but would like to use all my personalized
templates from Word 2003.

I also had a customized toolbar in 2003 which I would like to bring
across. This toolbar always opened along with Word. It included buttons
for all the regularly used items, e.g. Open, Save, View Header and
Footer and, most useful, a button to open a document based on a
particular template.

Is this possible, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
abrielle abrielle is offline

Sorry, but could you tell me where to find this in Office 2007. The only
startup folder I can find is Office12 | STARTUP. Is this the one for Word?

"abrielle" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2007 but would like to use all my
personalized templates from Word 2003.

I also had a customized toolbar in 2003 which I would like to bring
across. This toolbar always opened along with Word. It included buttons
for all the regularly used items, e.g. Open, Save, View Header and
Footer and, most useful, a button to open a document based on a
particular template.

Is this possible, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Get the path from Office Button | Word Options | Advanced | General: File
Locations

http://word.mvps.org

"abrielle" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2007 but would like to use all my
personalized templates from Word 2003.

I also had a customized toolbar in 2003 which I would like to bring
across. This toolbar always opened along with Word. It included
buttons for all the regularly used items, e.g. Open, Save, View Header
and Footer and, most useful, a button to open a document based on a
particular template.

Is this possible, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

By default the startup folder is a hidden file that can be located by typing
(or copying)
%appdata%\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
into the address window of Windows Explorer or your browser.

"abrielle" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2007 but would like to use all my
personalized templates from Word 2003.

I also had a customized toolbar in 2003 which I would like to bring
across. This toolbar always opened along with Word. It included
buttons for all the regularly used items, e.g. Open, Save, View Header
and Footer and, most useful, a button to open a document based on a
particular template.

Is this possible, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
abrielle abrielle is offline

Thanks Suzanne.

I think it will take me a while to find my way around in Word 2007. You were
always such a help when I started on 2003 all those years ago and I am sure
I shall be submitting lots of questions again now!

I have stuck with 2003 and become quite proficient but decided, finally,
that I must move with the times. I have only just installed Windows 7 so I
am trying to get to grips with that and Office 2007 at the same time.

Thanks to all the other folks who patiently answer our questions too.

"abrielle" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2007 but would like to use all my
personalized templates from Word 2003.

I also had a customized toolbar in 2003 which I would like to bring
across. This toolbar always opened along with Word. It included
buttons for all the regularly used items, e.g. Open, Save, View
Header and Footer and, most useful, a button to open a document based
on a particular template.

Is this possible, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
abrielle abrielle is offline

Thank you. That's good to know.

Next question coming up on new thread!

"abrielle" wrote in message
I have just installed Word 2007 but would like to use all my
personalized templates from Word 2003.

I also had a customized toolbar in 2003 which I would like to bring
across. This toolbar always opened along with Word. It included
buttons for all the regularly used items, e.g. Open, Save, View
Header and Footer and, most useful, a button to open a document based
on a particular template.

Is this possible, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I perfectly understand. I'm still using Word 2003 for production work,
although I also have Word 2007 on my desktop system (primarily for answering
such questions as yours), but I just got a new laptop with Windows 7 and
have installed only Office 2007 on that, so I'm hoping to be committed to
using it more and learning it better. In addition, my husband took the
plunge (primarily to get the PDF add-in), and I am expected to provide tech
support for him as well, so I guess I'll be forced to get better acquainted
with Word 2007 (mostly I'm hearing his moans about Excel 2007, which I
haven't ventured into at all).

http://word.mvps.org