Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deejay Deejay is offline

Default Building Blocks for networks

Can Building Blocks be set for an entire network? I've noticed that the
Building Blocks file is located on the individual computers and I can't see
how to change the location. There is a way round by saving building blocks to
the Normal template, however it saves it to the machine's Normal and not the
workgroup's template. Yes, the User Templates can be pointed to a network
location but I have been advised not to do that.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Using Office 2007 with Vista.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deborah Zotian - MOS Deborah Zotian - MOS is offline

This is something I'm interested in as well. We have templates for consulting
recommendations and there are paragraphs which sometimes need to be added. It
would be great if they could be on the network so everyone has access to
everyone's building blocks as needed.

"Deejay" wrote:

Can Building Blocks be set for an entire network? I've noticed that the
Building Blocks file is located on the individual computers and I can't see
how to change the location. There is a way round by saving building blocks to
the Normal template, however it saves it to the machine's Normal and not the
workgroup's template. Yes, the User Templates can be pointed to a network
location but I have been advised not to do that.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Using Office 2007 with Vista.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You can use the Startup location for Word to share Building Blocks. Point
the Startup path to your network location and when Word starts the template
will load and make the Building Blocks available to all documents.

The Startup location can be modified in Word Options in the Advanced
section. Scroll to the bottom and then click File Locations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Deborah Zotian - MOS" wrote in
message ...

"Deejay" wrote:

Can Building Blocks be set for an entire network? I've noticed that the
Building Blocks file is located on the individual computers and I can't
see
how to change the location. There is a way round by saving building
blocks to
the Normal template, however it saves it to the machine's Normal and not
the
workgroup's template. Yes, the User Templates can be pointed to a network
location but I have been advised not to do that.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Using Office 2007 with Vista.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deejay Deejay is offline

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I did but when I wish to add to
it I find that it is Read Only in the list of the 'save to' drop down. So how
does one add to the list?

"Deejay" wrote:

Can Building Blocks be set for an entire network? I've noticed that the
Building Blocks file is located on the individual computers and I can't
see
how to change the location. There is a way round by saving building
blocks to
the Normal template, however it saves it to the machine's Normal and not
the
workgroup's template. Yes, the User Templates can be pointed to a network
location but I have been advised not to do that.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Using Office 2007 with Vista.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Is the folder on the network read only? If not and others are using Word and
have the global template loaded then unfortunately it will be locked for
editing. This applies to any global template. The best way to update it in
this scenario is too open the template and made your modifications.

Something you may want to consider is how the Building Blocks you want to
add are intended to be used. If they are document specific and do not apply
to all documents then you may want to place these in a document template
instead. That way, they'll be accessible to documents based on the template.
Ideally, Building Blocks stored in a global template should be limited to
those that are applicable to all documents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Beth Melton" wrote:

You can use the Startup location for Word to share Building Blocks. Point
the Startup path to your network location and when Word starts the
template
will load and make the Building Blocks available to all documents.

The Startup location can be modified in Word Options in the Advanced
section. Scroll to the bottom and then click File Locations.

"Deborah Zotian - MOS" wrote
in
message ...

"Deejay" wrote:

Can Building Blocks be set for an entire network? I've noticed that
the
Building Blocks file is located on the individual computers and I
can't
see
how to change the location. There is a way round by saving building
blocks to
the Normal template, however it saves it to the machine's Normal and
not
the
workgroup's template. Yes, the User Templates can be pointed to a
network
location but I have been advised not to do that.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Using Office 2007 with Vista.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deejay Deejay is offline

Thanks again. The problem is that even if I do it at night when only my
computer is on it still won't let me as my computer also loads the global
template. How do I load Word on my computer without also loading the global
templates?

"Deejay" wrote:

Can Building Blocks be set for an entire network? I've noticed that
the
Building Blocks file is located on the individual computers and I
can't
see
how to change the location. There is a way round by saving building
blocks to
the Normal template, however it saves it to the machine's Normal and
not
the
workgroup's template. Yes, the User Templates can be pointed to a
network
location but I have been advised not to do that.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Using Office 2007 with Vista.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Ah! You can manually unload the global template after Word starts. On the
Developer tab, click Document Template and deselect the global template. You
can either manually reload it or it will automatically load again when you
restart Word.

Note if you don't see the Developer tab, click the Microsoft Office Button,
click Word Options, and in the Popular section, select "Show Developer tab
in the Ribbon".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Beth Melton" wrote:

You can use the Startup location for Word to share Building Blocks.
Point
the Startup path to your network location and when Word starts the
template
will load and make the Building Blocks available to all documents.

The Startup location can be modified in Word Options in the Advanced
section. Scroll to the bottom and then click File Locations.

"Deborah Zotian - MOS"
wrote
in
message ...

"Deejay" wrote:

Can Building Blocks be set for an entire network? I've noticed that
the
Building Blocks file is located on the individual computers and I
can't
see
how to change the location. There is a way round by saving building
blocks to
the Normal template, however it saves it to the machine's Normal
and
not
the
workgroup's template. Yes, the User Templates can be pointed to a
network
location but I have been advised not to do that.

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Using Office 2007 with Vista.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You're welcome. Glad to hear you have a solution that works for you. :-)

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word