Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Tricks for Deleting Header

Hi,

I imported a template from the Microsoft site to use as a party invitation.

I want to increase the amount of space at the top of the invitation. The
header is taking up a lot of room. There is a single paragraph mark at the
top of the header box. Yet, there is roughly the same amount of space as 10
lines between the single paragraph mark at the top of the box and the end of
the header outline box. If I enter a number of paragraph marks, they fill the
header box, and when they reach the end of the box, the box begins to expand
downward. If I backspace over the paragraph marks starting at the bottom, the
box shrinks until it reaches what was its original size and then the size of
the box stays the same even as the paragraph marks are deleted upward.

I have changed margins in page setup, too.

I am using Word 2003. (The template indicated it would work on Word 1997 and
later.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff Jeff is offline

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for responding to my message.

The header margins are currently set to 0".

I don't know if the following observation will make any sense to you, or
not. I'll throw it out on the table, just in case.

There is a box at the top of sheet that is outlined in a dotted line when I
double click in that area. The header and footer toolbar appears when this
box opens up. And, like I said earlier, there is a single return at the top
of the box.

Somehow earlier I was able to put a box around the header. (I can't recreate
how I did it, though.) Only the line with the return was boxed. So, I guess
this is telling us that the header isn't really causing the problem.

I have tried making various changes to the margins in the document. The box
associated with the header prevents text being placed any higher in the
document than the bottom of the box associated with the header. I can see
changes at the bottom of the document, and the sides of the document,
depending on how I change the margin settings.

It's probably not worth all this effort... but, it has turned into a
challenge.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Send me the doc and I'll have a look. In your cover email, describe what
you're trying to do and the problem you're having.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you tried changing the header margin to 0"? (File | Page Setup |
Layout)

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gotta question gotta question is offline

You might have a table cell in the header that's set to a certain height.
Open the header and move your mouse pointer way over to the left. When the
arrow changes, click, and see if you can do anything in the 'table' menu
option, such as delet row, or table properties and adjust the height of the
row...

"Jeff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just to follow up on this, Jeff's description was 100% accurate, and the
problem was 100% mysterious. There was *nothing* detectably wrong with the
settings of the document or any of its components, and I could only conclude
that the document was corrupt.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Send me the doc and I'll have a look. In your cover email, describe what
you're trying to do and the problem you're having.

so
all may benefit.