Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LuxAeterna LuxAeterna is offline

Default Merge from Excel Data, multiple lines on same letter

I'm trying to do a mail merge of one letter per customer, letting them know
what they were paid for. Problem: Each line designates who was paid and the
amount. Some people were paid more than once. I don't want to create one
letter per payment.

How do I tell the mail merge "If the customer name is the same as the line
before, then put the next payment on a second line on the same letter. If the
customer name isn't the same, move onto the next letter"? Also, can I make it
look like a table?

For example: Joe Smith was paid
$2.00 on 1/2/08
$3.00 on 2/3/08
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

you are trying to perform a "multiple items per condition (=key
field)" mailmerge which, "out of the box", Word does not really have the
ability to do:

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

or at:

http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"LuxAeterna" wrote in message
I'm trying to do a mail merge of one letter per customer, letting them
know
what they were paid for. Problem: Each line designates who was paid and
the
amount. Some people were paid more than once. I don't want to create one
letter per payment.

How do I tell the mail merge "If the customer name is the same as the line
before, then put the next payment on a second line on the same letter. If
the
customer name isn't the same, move onto the next letter"? Also, can I make
it
look like a table?

For example: Joe Smith was paid
$2.00 on 1/2/08
$3.00 on 2/3/08

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
LuxAeterna LuxAeterna is offline

Thank you for your reply, Doug.
After posting my question, I looked through the other threads for similar
answers and have referenced the links you listed. I've been trying to follow
both sites, but am not having much luck... I've managed to get a few singular
merge fields to work, but can't get the rest functioning properly.

I neglected to mention that I'm using Office 2007. Are there any resources
(besides articles) you know of that can help me to finish this mail merge?
Consultants, etc?

Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated.