Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fielderbay Fielderbay is offline

Default Unwanted Asian language in styles

I am working in a Word 2003 document that somebody else created. Many, but
not all, of the formatting styles list the Language under €śReveal Formatting€ť
as follows:
(Asian) Chinese (PRC)
(Other) English (U.S.)
In the Reveal Formatting sidebar, clicking on the Language link opens a
Language window in which English (U.S.) is the only default language.
Therefore, I cannot remove the Asian or Chinese designation which is showing
as the main language selection in Reveal Formatting. A Microsoft Support
search lists plenty of pages which instruct how to ENABLE Asian fonts,
keyboards, characters etc., but nothing about how to REMOVE unwanted Asian
fonts, keyboards, characters etc. A lot of Service Pack x descriptions
discuss Asian fonts and add-ins, but again, not the REMOVAL of unwanted Asian
languages in document styles. And finally, note that no weird Chinese or
Asian characters, including the corner markers everyone is concerned about in
these posts, are appearing anywhere in the document €“ the problem is just the
language description of certain styles, in a document I didnt create.
So... can anyone tell me how to remove €ś(Asian) Chinese (PRC)€ť from specific
styles, when the Language window wont even acknowledge it as being selected?