julyjustice

Default applying formatting changes the whole document

Several weeks ago when I attempted to use bullets on a particular paragraph,
the entire document changed to bullets. I went through several steps,
including looking to see if I had unknowingly changed something in Tools |
Options, or on the AutoCorrect menu and could find nothing new. No matter
what I did, I could not get bullets to apply to just the selected text. I
looked at the style format, I looked at reveal formatting and I could not see
anything wrong. Being in the middle of finishing two papers with deadlines, I
punted and did not use bullets.
Now, when I select a word or sentence to apply underlining, the same thing
happens. The whole document becomes formatted with underlining. I can't get
it to just underline where I want.
I have up-to-date antivirus software, have scanned my system and verified
that I do not have a virus.
I have been using Word for many years and previously considered myself an
expert, but I am stumped with this problem.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
--
julyjustice
Margaret Aldis

You have one or more styles set to "Automatically update". See he

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...eformatted.htm

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"julyjustice" wrote in message
[...]

julyjustice

Margaret,
Thank you for the speedy info. I followed the instructions, it worked great
for the formatting, but it still does not work for the numbering or bullets.
I will search deeper in those FAQs.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

[...]

Margaret Aldis

OK, there is another possibility for bullets, which is that the default
bullet format is linked to your Normal style. To sort that one, you need to
use Format Bullets and Numbering and Reset the panes.