Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EvokingChange EvokingChange is offline

Default Deleting Index Field Codes

The publisher of my book is going to paginate my index for me, but doesn't
want any codes in the document. I can't remember how to delete ALL the index
codes from the entire document.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

You shouldn't have to delete the index codes, as they're hidden text.

If you need to do it anyway, you can use Find and Replace.

Find: ^d XE
Replace: [null]

I.E. you search for in index field and replace it with nothing. Once you're
confident that it's working, you can click Replace All.

You have to show your non-printing characters for this to work.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
EvokingChange EvokingChange is offline

Thanks, Bear. It didn't work the first time I tried that, so I posted the
question. But then it did work - go figure.
I have no idea why iUniverse wants all the codes deleted - it must have
something to do with their computerized "typesetting".
Thanks again.

"Bear" wrote:

You shouldn't have to delete the index codes, as they're hidden text.

If you need to do it anyway, you can use Find and Replace.

Find: ^d XE
Replace: [null]

I.E. you search for in index field and replace it with nothing. Once you're
confident that it's working, you can click Replace All.

You have to show your non-printing characters for this to work.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Glad to help. And thanks for rating the post.

Sometimes I just have to stand beside a co-worker who's having trouble with
Word and the trouble goes away. I think Word is a little bit afraid of me. Or
maybe it just wants me to think it is.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

"Bear" wrote:

You shouldn't have to delete the index codes, as they're hidden text.

If you need to do it anyway, you can use Find and Replace.

Find: ^d XE
Replace: [null]

I.E. you search for in index field and replace it with nothing. Once you're
confident that it's working, you can click Replace All.

You have to show your non-printing characters for this to work.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi EC

EvokingChange wrote:
The publisher of my book is going to paginate my index for me, but doesn't
want any codes in the document. I can't remember how to delete ALL the index
codes from the entire document.

make sure you lock the index field, or better: convert it to raw text,
before you delete all your XE fields ...!

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
diane in seattle diane in seattle is offline

Hi all,

I'm creating an index & have a similar question, but don't want to delete
all fields.

Example: I marked all the occurrences of the number "two," then thought
better of the alphabetic choice & decided to include numeric, "2, two."

I don't want to cross-reference for a number of reasons. This simple little
solution is what works best for my project.

Since I already marked up a whole bunch of "two"s, I'd like to know how I
can go back over the document & edit ALL those fields (globally, if possible)
so the "2, two" choice is the one that shows in all occurrences.

I'm using MS-WORD 2000 Professional.

Hope that's clear. Thanks for your help.