What is the space formatting that looks like a degree symbol?

Old August 4th 06, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MGrant

Default What is the space formatting that looks like a degree symbol?

Document contains a symbol that looks like the degree symbol between spaces
instead of the usual dot. How do I get rid of it?
Old August 4th 06, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

MGrant wrote:
Document contains a symbol that looks like the degree symbol between
spaces instead of the usual dot. How do I get rid of it?

That's a nonbreaking space (see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...rintChars.htm). Its shortcut is
Ctrl+Shift+spacebar.

You can use Edit Replace to remove them. Put the cursor in the Find box
and press Ctrl+Shift+spacebar. Put the cursor in the Replace box and press
just the spacebar. Click the Replace All button.

You may not want to remove all of them, as they do have a use -- they let
you have a phrase that looks like two or more words but won't break across a
line ending. They're also useful in text that will be sorted, such as family
names with multiple parts (e.g., Ludwig von Beethoven).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old August 4th 06, 04:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH

This called "Nonbreaking Space" a non-printing caharacter. Usually used to
hold two words together so they don't separate when text-wrapping occurs at
the margins.

These are typed in by Ctrl+Shift+SpaceBar.
If you have lots of them and want to delete them, you can find them in the
Find | More | Special listing (^s)
Hope this is helpful.
All the best.
DeanH

Old November 5th 20, 08:37 AM
Shanez Shanez is offline

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

"MGrant" wrote:

Document contains a symbol that looks like the degree symbol between spaces
instead of the usual dot. How do I get rid of it?
Thank you so much. That previously had me uninstalling MS office and changing versions. I thought it was a mulfunction. Thanks a bunch.
Old November 24th 20, 07:11 AM
Stella5544 Stella5544 is offline

The space formation that looks like degree symbol are Non-breaking usually used to hold two world together so that these worlds do not separate at the margins. This dissertation help in the UK information helps you to understand more about this format and symbols which are used for writing.