Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
AlexanderGross

Default Word does imports just the first column of a CSV data set

Hi all,

I've encountered a problem importing CSV data into Word to create a
mailmerge. After selecting the CSV file as the data source a window pops up
that suggests to use the OLE DB provider for the selected file type. When
clicking the OK button, the next window asks me about the column delimiter.
After selecting "Comma" and clicking OK the same window appears again and
asks me about the delimiter again. After a second try selecting "Comma", the
data source is set up. However, just the first column of the CSV dataset is
imported. No matter what information is placed in the first column, it's the
only one that's imported.

I've reconstructed this behavior on two machines, both with all Windows XP
Professional and Office 2003 patches applied. Word reports 11.6568.6568 SP2
as the version number.

A possible workaround is to import the CSV into Excel, saving the Excel
sheet and use it as the data source of the mailmerge document.

Best regards,

Alex

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Try checking the "Show All" box in the "Confirm Data Source dialog, then
selecting "Text Files (*.txt)" instead of the OLEDB option. This is (I
think) the option Word actually uses if you uncheck Word
Tools|Options|General|Confirm conversion at open" before opening the data
source, and the option should really be listed for .csv data sources.

When
clicking the OK button, the next window asks me about the column
delimiter.
After selecting "Comma" and clicking OK the same window appears again and
asks me about the delimiter again. After a second try selecting "Comma",
the
data source is set up.

FWIW, I don't know why Word does that, but it always does in my experience.
What's more, despite the fact that it does save the delimiter when you save
the document, it asks again when you open it.

However, just the first column of the CSV dataset is
imported. No matter what information is placed in the first column, it's
the
only one that's imported.

Here, multi-column .csv s do work. If my first suggestion does not work,
then there must be something else out of the ordinary: are you using an
unusual encoding perhaps, or do you have "unusual" characters in your column
naes?

Peter Jamieson

"AlexanderGross" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
AlexanderGross

Hi Peter,

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:
Try checking the "Show All" box in the "Confirm Data Source dialog, then
selecting "Text Files (*.txt)" instead of the OLEDB option. This is (I
think) the option Word actually uses if you uncheck Word
Tools|Options|General|Confirm conversion at open" before opening the data
source, and the option should really be listed for .csv data sources.

Show All-*. txt actually does the trick. Thank you very much! Who thinks
TXT is equal to CSV when it comes to importing data? Weird.

I've also tried to unchecking Tools|Options|General|Confirm conversion at
open and it also worked like a charm. This is even a better approach because
I don't have to remember to select text files.

Thanks again,

Alex