Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SamPolese SamPolese is offline

Default Wor 2003 Caption Separator Giving me an En Dash instead of a hyphe

Using Word 2003 and when inserting a Table or Figure to include Chapter
Number instead of the Caption Separator giving me the listed "hypen" it
inserts an En Dash. And when I create my List of Figures/Tables, the En Dash
shows for all the listings.

Does anyone know how I can modify the Caption Separator so it gives me what
I'm actually asking for (a "hyphen" instead of an "En Dash").

Thank You!

Sam Polese
San Diego, CA
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can't imagine how this would be happening unless spaces were somehow
involved (and I don't see how they could be in this case), but if it's any
consolation to you, there is a Unicode character called "Figure Dash"
(U2012) that is actually rather more like an en dash than a hyphen.

"SamPolese" wrote in message
Using Word 2003 and when inserting a Table or Figure to include Chapter
Number instead of the Caption Separator giving me the listed "hypen" it
inserts an En Dash. And when I create my List of Figures/Tables, the En

Dash
shows for all the listings.

Does anyone know how I can modify the Caption Separator so it gives me

what
I'm actually asking for (a "hyphen" instead of an "En Dash").

Thank You!

Sam Polese
San Diego, CA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What language is applied to text (look at the status bar)?

If, possibly as the result of the language setting, spaces are inserted
before and after the hyphen, that would trigger the AutoCorrect entry that
converts a hyphen to an en dash.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SamPolese" wrote:

Using Word 2003 and when inserting a Table or Figure to include Chapter
Number instead of the Caption Separator giving me the listed "hypen" it
inserts an En Dash. And when I create my List of Figures/Tables, the En Dash
shows for all the listings.

Does anyone know how I can modify the Caption Separator so it gives me what
I'm actually asking for (a "hyphen" instead of an "En Dash").

Thank You!

Sam Polese
San Diego, CA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SamPolese SamPolese is offline

Default Wor 2003 Caption Separator Giving me an En Dash instead of a h

Stefan,

Not sure where in the status bar to check the language. But everything
appears to be in English. I went into the Autocorrect feature and shut down
everything that would automatically change a hypen to a dash but still no
luck.

Was wondering if I should ask the IT Dept to reload Word?

Thanks in advance for suggestions from Stefan and Suzanne.

.. . . Sam
--
Sam Polese
San Diego, CA

"SamPolese" wrote:

Using Word 2003 and when inserting a Table or Figure to include Chapter
Number instead of the Caption Separator giving me the listed "hypen" it
inserts an En Dash. And when I create my List of Figures/Tables, the En Dash
shows for all the listings.

Does anyone know how I can modify the Caption Separator so it gives me what
I'm actually asking for (a "hyphen" instead of an "En Dash").

Thank You!

Sam Polese
San Diego, CA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

On the status bar, there should be a little box stating "English (U.S.)" or
whatever applies to your system. If you can't see it, you can look in Tools
| Language | Set Language instead.

Note that the language at the insertion point is displayed in the
AutoCorrect dialog box, too (assuming that the AutoCorrect tab is active).
When you modify the settings, the modifications apply to that language only.

Since you've already checked the Numbering options for each caption label,
making sure that the separator is correctly set, I don't know what more to
suggest. :-(

FWIW, reinstalling Word is unlikely to help with issues like this one.
Settings (if they are incorrect in some way) are stored in the registry,
which is not cleared when uninstalling anyway.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP