Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Captain Ben Captain Ben is offline

Default Word 2007 incompatability with older versions of word

I have Windows 7 home premium, Word 2007 with Office Home and student 2007.
Cannot open older word files dating back to Vista, XP, etc.
Keep getting message '(file name).doc is not a valid Win32 application
Have tried downloading:
Compatability pack for 2007 office system
all updates for office 2007
incl. security updates and service pack 2
Before loading office/word 2007 I removed works and older versions of word
and rebooted, Have rebooted more times than I can remember!
Any help appreciated before I remove office 2007 and reload office XP which
ran fine!
Many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is essentially the issue covered at
http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm. See if re-registering (as
described) works first.

"Captain Ben" wrote in message
I have Windows 7 home premium, Word 2007 with Office Home and student 2007.
Cannot open older word files dating back to Vista, XP, etc.
Keep getting message '(file name).doc is not a valid Win32 application
Have tried downloading:
Compatability pack for 2007 office system
all updates for office 2007
incl. security updates and service pack 2
Before loading office/word 2007 I removed works and older versions of word
and rebooted, Have rebooted more times than I can remember!
Any help appreciated before I remove office 2007 and reload office XP
which
ran fine!
Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Captain Ben Captain Ben is offline

Thanks for the attempt for assistance but tried your suggested change to
registry with no improvement. There was no %1 at the end of the command?
Any other suggestions?
once again thanks for the suggested solution
regards Ben

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

This is essentially the issue covered at
http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm. See if re-registering (as
described) works first.

"Captain Ben" wrote in message
I have Windows 7 home premium, Word 2007 with Office Home and student 2007.
Cannot open older word files dating back to Vista, XP, etc.
Keep getting message '(file name).doc is not a valid Win32 application
Have tried downloading:
Compatability pack for 2007 office system
all updates for office 2007
incl. security updates and service pack 2
Before loading office/word 2007 I removed works and older versions of word
and rebooted, Have rebooted more times than I can remember!
Any help appreciated before I remove office 2007 and reload office XP
which
ran fine!
Many thanks

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

In that case, it may be related to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922849
or http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;973904

If neither of those, some users have reported that deleting/renaming the
Word data key in the registry has effected a solution
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\W ord\Data

news

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Captain Ben Captain Ben is offline

Thanks for your assistance in trying to help me make this work,
However I am not an IT expert, just a plain user who has worked with windows
since 3.1
-Amazed at the progress since Win 95
However also amazed how hard they have to struggle to make just one platform
run successfully.
I spend more time reformatting hard drives which have corrupted, crashed and
just plain have to be upgraded than actually using!
This is the last PC I will ever buy!

I am to be, just another Mac convert, by the end of the year.
Between work and home I have to struggle keeping 7 PC's going, 3 laptops -
ex Vista 'abortions' - now '7' and 2 XP desktops.
- Life is too short to be trying to finish the work which Microsoft start
and can be bothered to sort!
- Back to Office XP