Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Totara Totara is offline

Default subscritp line above letter

I am entering maori names and need to put a line above individual letters,
for the correct sounding (long) Have M/s word 2007
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

For the general discussion of how to insert special characters, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/InsertSpecChars.htm.

Specifically for lines above characters, the lower case vowels with
lines above them are available in most fonts with the following
Unicode character codes:

a = 0101
e = 0113
i = 012B
o = 014D
u = 016B

In Word, you can type the number and press Alt+X to get the character.
If you use them frequently, either assign simipler shortcuts to them
or create AutoCorrect entries, as described in the article.

If you need lines over other letters that aren't already in the font,
see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:41:01 -0700, Totara
wrote:

I am entering maori names and need to put a line above individual letters,
for the correct sounding (long) Have M/s word 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That particular file of Suzanne's doesn't include the proper way of
adding a "macron" over an accented letter that doesn't already exist
in the font -- which is to use the "Combining Diacritical Marks"
macron at 0304 (or overbar at 0305 if you need an especially wide
one). Characters in that Unicode range put the mark on the previous
letter (and then Word doesn't treat them as two characters; a single
Left-Arrow moves over the entire accented letter).

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
I am entering maori names and need to put a line above individual letters,
for the correct sounding (long) *Have M/s word 2007-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Combining diacritical marks are mentioned in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...Characters.htm, but the macron is
not included in Times New Roman or Arial.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:
I am entering maori names and need to put a line above individual
letters,
for the correct sounding (long) Have M/s word 2007-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Of course it is -- I've been using it at least since XP, so it was in
the font at least that far back. (I don't know when Windows first
became Unicode-aware; Mac wasn't until OS X, and I was unable to
upgrade to OS X.)

On Mar 21, 9:12*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Combining diacritical marks are mentioned inhttp://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CombineCharacters.htm, but the macron is
not included in Times New Roman or Arial.

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in ...

wrote:
I am entering maori names and need to put a line above individual
letters,
for the correct sounding (long) Have M/s word 2007--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Open the Insert Symbol dialog. If the text in your document isn't already
TNR (which will then be "(normal text)" in the dialog), change the font to
TNR. Do you see a character at 0304? I don't. I see only 0300, 0301, 0303,
0309, and 0323 in the Combining Diacritical Marks character subset. I
thought it might be possible to add the character in TNR text by typing 0304
and pressing Alt+X (assuming the character would be supplied by another
font), but in fact I just get a square. A fuller character set (including
the macron and breve) is available in Calibri and Cambria, which you may
well be using in Word 2007.

The version of TNR I'm using is 3.00 (modified October 18, 2002 or August 4,
2004, depending on which tab of the Font Properties you believe); the
version history at
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ily.aspx?FID=9 goes only up to
2.55 (Windows 95), which isn't very helpful. The version on my Windows 7
laptop is v. 5.05, which does include the characters you mention; I guess I
need to copy that version to my XP machine!

wrote:
I am entering maori names and need to put a line above individual
letters,
for the correct sounding (long) Have M/s word 2007--

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Mine is v. 5.01, modified 2 Oct 06. I guess I should get the newer one
from the laptop. I wonder how they differ ...

version history athttp://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/family.aspx?FID=9goes only up to