Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Bee

Default Templates

In Word 2003, File-New pops up a window on the right. I then have to click on
"On My Computer" to get the list of template (.dot) files on my PC. How can I
make this the default action, i.e. I want to click file-new and see the list
of DOTs (like Word 2000)?

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Open the Tools Customize dialog. In the File category, find the New Blank
Document command and drag it to the toolbar or to the File menu (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oToToolbar.htm). If you
don't want to use the task pane, drag the old button/command off and drop it
into the document area, where it will disappear.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Bee wrote:
In Word 2003, File-New pops up a window on the right. I then have to
click on "On My Computer" to get the list of template (.dot) files on
my PC. How can I make this the default action, i.e. I want to click
file-new and see the list of DOTs (like Word 2000)?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:15:37 -0400, "Jay Freedman"
wrote:

Open the Tools Customize dialog. In the File category, find the New Blank
Document command and drag it to the toolbar or to the File menu (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oToToolbar.htm). If you
don't want to use the task pane, drag the old button/command off and drop it
into the document area, where it will disappear.

Ack, sorry, Suzanne is right -- it's FileNewDefault, not New Blank
Document you want. The latter button is already on the toolbar.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

No, I'm just having one of those days. FileNewDialog it is.

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 20:29:32 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Ack! Did I write FileNewDefault? It should be FileNewDialog. FileNewDefault
would add the New Document button, which, as you say, is already on the
toolbar!

.. .
wrote:

Open the Tools Customize dialog. In the File category, find the New

Blank
Document command and drag it to the toolbar or to the File menu (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oToToolbar.htm). If

you
don't want to use the task pane, drag the old button/command off and drop

it
into the document area, where it will disappear.

Ack, sorry, Suzanne is right -- it's FileNewDefault, not New Blank
Document you want. The latter button is already on the toolbar.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Bee

But I don't want just a "Blank Document," I want to see the list of the dozen
or so customized templates I've stored in my Templates Directory...

Jay Bee wrote:
In Word 2003, File-New pops up a window on the right. I then have to
click on "On My Computer" to get the list of template (.dot) files on
my PC. How can I make this the default action, i.e. I want to click
file-new and see the list of DOTs (like Word 2000)?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Yes. You want the FileNewDialog command.
Assign it to a toolbar and add a button. I use a copy of the new blank
document button with modifications. (Mine is yellow instead of white.)
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Open the Tools Customize dialog. In the File category, find the New
Blank
Document command and drag it to the toolbar or to the File menu (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oToToolbar.htm). If
you
don't want to use the task pane, drag the old button/command off and drop
it
into the document area, where it will disappear.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so
all may benefit.

Jay Bee wrote:
In Word 2003, File-New pops up a window on the right. I then have to
click on "On My Computer" to get the list of template (.dot) files on
my PC. How can I make this the default action, i.e. I want to click
file-new and see the list of DOTs (like Word 2000)?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Jay Bee

But I don't want just a "Blank Document," I want to see the list of the
dozen
or so customized templates I've stored in my Templates Directory...

I think that is the most recent message in this thread, so let's start
again!

Open the Tools Customize dialog. On the Commands Tab, in the Categories
list, find All Commands (it's way down the bottom of the list). From the
Commands list, you can drag a command to a menu or toolbar.

The following commands are either the one you need or are similar ones
(listed here for the sake of completeness!):

- FileNew opens the Word 2002 and Word 2003 task pane at the 'New Document'
pane. That's the one that is on the menu by default, and is not the one you
want.

- FileNewContext gives you a split button. If you just click the button you
get a new document based on Normal.dot. Or, you can click the little down
arrow to choose alternatives (eg new Email).

- FileNewDefault creates a new document from Normal.dot.

- FileNewDialog is the equivalent of the pre-Word 2002 File New command.
It displays the New dialog that lists all the templates in the folders
listed at Tools Options File Locations User Templates and Workgroup
Templates. This, I think, is the one you need!

When you drag this FileNewDialog command to your menu or toolbar it displays
the unlikely text of "Other...". While the Customize dialog is still open,
right-click your new item and you can give it a more useful name.

If you're a keyboard person and like to do Alt-F N to get a new document,
you can get this keyboard sequence to open the FileNewDialog. You'll see
that if you put a & before a letter in the name of a button, that letter
becomes a keyboard accelerator. So, I put the FileNewDialog command on the
FIle menu just below the built-in New... command. Then I edited the built-in
command to take out the & in its name. And I re-named the unhelpful
"Other..." to "&New - Show my templates". So Alt-F N shows me the dialog
with all my templates. And if I need it, I can still use the built-in
command to open the task pane if I need it.

(I think you can see how confusing this can be: the icons for these four
commands are the same, and the commands have different names depending on
whether you're in the Customize dialog looking in the File section or in the
All Commands section. No-one ever accused Word of being straight-forward!)

The links Suzanne and Jay provided earlier give further information:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm
and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...oToToolbar.htm.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

Jay Bee wrote:
In Word 2003, File-New pops up a window on the right. I then have to
click on "On My Computer" to get the list of template (.dot) files on
my PC. How can I make this the default action, i.e. I want to click
file-new and see the list of DOTs (like Word 2000)?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

You're welcome. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jay Bee" wrote in message
news
Thank you. That worked perfectly.

JB

Hi Jay Bee

Jay Bee wrote:
In Word 2003, File-New pops up a window on the right. I then have to
click on "On My Computer" to get the list of template (.dot) files
on
my PC. How can I make this the default action, i.e. I want to click
file-new and see the list of DOTs (like Word 2000)?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DTremors DTremors is offline

Thank you!! I had this set up before on my computer but our IT person had to
reload Word. I've been looking and looking on how to get it back but until
now have been unsuccessful. I'm saving this info in a safe place for future
reference. I HATE that stupid New Document Task Pane, among other things.
There should be an Easy Button to enable/disable these features.

Marcia

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

You're welcome. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Jay Bee" wrote in message
news
Thank you. That worked perfectly.

JB

Hi Jay Bee

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...ToToolbar.htm).

Jay Bee wrote:
In Word 2003, File-New pops up a window on the right. I then have to
click on "On My Computer" to get the list of template (.dot) files
on
my PC. How can I make this the default action, i.e. I want to click
file-new and see the list of DOTs (like Word 2000)?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ray S. Ray S. is offline

OK, I got caught by the mistake, but I can't figure out how to remove the
duplicated dialog from the toolbar now.

"Jay Bee" Jay wrote in message
In Word 2003, File-New pops up a window on the right. I then have to click

on
"On My Computer" to get the list of template (.dot) files on my PC. How

can I
make this the default action, i.e. I want to click file-new and see the

list
of DOTs (like Word 2000)?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Jay Bee" Jay wrote in message
In Word 2003, File-New pops up a window on the right. I then have to
click

on
"On My Computer" to get the list of template (.dot) files on my PC. How

can I
make this the default action, i.e. I want to click file-new and see the

list
of DOTs (like Word 2000)?

Thanks in advance

Templates Problem Joe McGuire Microsoft Word Help 1 February 8th 06 09:18 PM
Accessing Templates in Word 2002 Joe McGuire Microsoft Word Help 5 November 22nd 05 01:29 AM
Normal.dot Issue PA New Users 7 August 7th 05 04:40 PM
Get 'Workgroup Templates' to show up in 'New Document' Task Pane? Brian In Phoenix Microsoft Word Help 3 July 15th 05 04:01 AM
Templates in too many languages. Only need English. capt_dalton Microsoft Word Help 0 December 2nd 04 10:29 PM