Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amy amy is offline

Default Adobe PDF add-on keeps crashing

I am using MS Word 2007 and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. For some reason,
when I try using the Convert to PDF add-on, Word keeps crashing and when it
restarts it asks if I want to disable the add-on. I've tried it both ways...
I've disabled the add-on and then I have to print to PDF rather than do a
straight conversion... and I've left the add-on enabled. I estimate it
crashes about 50% of the time. It doesn't seem to matter what the document
size is, it crashes with large documents and with very small documents. Any
ideas??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

I would suggest contacting Adobe as this seems to be their problem.

Word 2007 has its own 'Save As Pdf' option. You might want to try that one.
Unless you have very specific needs, it covers the same task as the acrobat
add-in.

Yves

"Amy" wrote in message
I am using MS Word 2007 and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. For some reason,
when I try using the Convert to PDF add-on, Word keeps crashing and when
it
restarts it asks if I want to disable the add-on. I've tried it both
ways...
I've disabled the add-on and then I have to print to PDF rather than do a
straight conversion... and I've left the add-on enabled. I estimate it
crashes about 50% of the time. It doesn't seem to matter what the document
size is, it crashes with large documents and with very small documents.
Any
ideas??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Current version is 9.3.1

Last version of 8 was 8.2.1 ?

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

"Amy" wrote in message

I am using MS Word 2007 and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. For some reason,
when I try using the Convert to PDF add-on, Word keeps crashing and when
it
restarts it asks if I want to disable the add-on. I've tried it both
ways...
I've disabled the add-on and then I have to print to PDF rather than do a
straight conversion... and I've left the add-on enabled. I estimate it
crashes about 50% of the time. It doesn't seem to matter what the document
size is, it crashes with large documents and with very small documents.
Any
ideas??-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is version 8 the OP has - there is no free upgrade path from 8 to 9.
Version 8.2.1 should work problem free with Office 2007.

"Amy" wrote in message

I am using MS Word 2007 and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. For some
reason,
when I try using the Convert to PDF add-on, Word keeps crashing and when
it
restarts it asks if I want to disable the add-on. I've tried it both
ways...
I've disabled the add-on and then I have to print to PDF rather than do
straight conversion... and I've left the add-on enabled. I estimate it
crashes about 50% of the time. It doesn't seem to matter what the
document
size is, it crashes with large documents and with very small documents.
Any
ideas??-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amy amy is offline

Sorry for the delayed reaction... for some reason I am not getting notified
of replies to my posts despite the fact that I have checked that option...
now that I am aware of that I will be sure to come back more often and check.

I currently have Adobe Acrobat Pro v. 8.2.2 loaded. I am still having
intermittent problems with the Distiller crashing when converting from Word
to PDF. This is for complex technical manuals with many bookmarks,
cross-references, etc. Will the Save as PDF option in Word work for that, as
well, or will it just generate a simple PDF file?

Thanks!

"Amy" wrote in message
I am using MS Word 2007 and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. For some reason,
when I try using the Convert to PDF add-on, Word keeps crashing and when
it
restarts it asks if I want to disable the add-on. I've tried it both
ways...
I've disabled the add-on and then I have to print to PDF rather than do a
straight conversion... and I've left the add-on enabled. I estimate it
crashes about 50% of the time. It doesn't seem to matter what the document
size is, it crashes with large documents and with very small documents.
Any
ideas??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The notification of messages hasn't worked properly for months.
The PDF plug-in for Word is nowhere near as sophisticated as Acrobat, but
whether it will preserve your links you will have to establish by testing.
If Acrobat is crashing, then it may be worth repairing the Acrobat
installation, but check that there are no conflicts with other
add-ins/templates. See
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

"Amy" wrote in message
I am using MS Word 2007 and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional. For some
reason,
when I try using the Convert to PDF add-on, Word keeps crashing and
when
it
restarts it asks if I want to disable the add-on. I've tried it both
ways...
I've disabled the add-on and then I have to print to PDF rather than do
straight conversion... and I've left the add-on enabled. I estimate it
crashes about 50% of the time. It doesn't seem to matter what the
document
size is, it crashes with large documents and with very small documents.
Any
ideas??

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amy amy is offline

Ah. Good to know it's not something I did ( notification of messages).

I'll try your suggestions. Thanks!