Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Powell[_2_] David Powell[_2_] is offline

Default Custom form for specified Document Properties

Under Word 2007, by default, there's a huge number of keystrokes required to
get to Custom Document Properties.
I'd like to make this simple.
Two ways forward have thwarted me, esp. since Word Help is no longer working
properly for me (I'm getting empty Office 2010 stuff - subject of a separate
post.)

i) build a form (I've forgotten how to do this.)
ii) explore the opportunities suggested by the ribbon under
Developer|Templates|Document Panel. The dialog box that opens looks like it
might supply what I want.

Normally, the Help system would send me where I want to go. But it seems to
be broken for me.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could add the Properties command from the all commands group to the QAT
(Quick Access Toolbar) and that would reduce the 'massive number' of
keystrokes to three. One to display the properties window - two more to
display the advanced properties.

"David Powell" wrote:

Under Word 2007, by default, there's a huge number of keystrokes required to
get to Custom Document Properties.
I'd like to make this simple.
Two ways forward have thwarted me, esp. since Word Help is no longer working
properly for me (I'm getting empty Office 2010 stuff - subject of a separate
post.)

i) build a form (I've forgotten how to do this.)
ii) explore the opportunities suggested by the ribbon under
Developer|Templates|Document Panel. The dialog box that opens looks like it
might supply what I want.

Normally, the Help system would send me where I want to go. But it seems to
be broken for me.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A couple of possible approaches:

a. create a macro like this:

Sub showdocprops()
CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=750, Visible:=False).Execute
End Sub

then use Office Button-Word Options-Customize, select Macros under
"Choose commands from," locate th eMacro and Add it to the QAT list on
the right. Then select it and click Modify to select an icon.

Then it's "click the icon in the QAT, and click the Custom propertie tab
(if it is not already displayed).

I expect someone here knows how to put that sort of stuff elsewhere on
the Word 2007 ribbon in other ways. Nor do I know whether there is a way
to select the tab you want programmatically.

b. in the Customize dialog, click Customize keyboard shortcuts, select
the All Commands category. This shows a rather different list from the
dialog in (a). Locate FileProperties and assign a keystroke.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 01/05/2010 05:38, David Powell wrote:
Under Word 2007, by default, there's a huge number of keystrokes required to
get to Custom Document Properties.
I'd like to make this simple.
Two ways forward have thwarted me, esp. since Word Help is no longer working
properly for me (I'm getting empty Office 2010 stuff - subject of a separate
post.)

i) build a form (I've forgotten how to do this.)
ii) explore the opportunities suggested by the ribbon under
Developer|Templates|Document Panel. The dialog box that opens looks like it
might supply what I want.

Normally, the Help system would send me where I want to go. But it seems to
be broken for me.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Good one! I was looking but failed to find that reference. To get it to open
at the Custom properties tab, I believe Sendkeys may be the only way
forward, thus

Sub showdocprops()
SendKeys "{Right 4}"

As for the ribbon - http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Customize_Ribbon.htm

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I added the Advanced Document Properties button to the QAT, which gets you
there in one click, two to get to Custom (and the next time you open it, it
will open at Custom).

http://word.mvps.org

"David Powell" wrote:

Under Word 2007, by default, there's a huge number of keystrokes required
get to Custom Document Properties.
I'd like to make this simple.
Two ways forward have thwarted me, esp. since Word Help is no longer
working
properly for me (I'm getting empty Office 2010 stuff - subject of a
separate
post.)

i) build a form (I've forgotten how to do this.)
ii) explore the opportunities suggested by the ribbon under
Developer|Templates|Document Panel. The dialog box that opens looks like
it
might supply what I want.

Normally, the Help system would send me where I want to go. But it seems
be broken for me.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Doh! I don't know why I didn't find that

Anyway I have used the macro Peter suggested, c/w the modification I added
and it always opens at Custom

"David Powell" wrote:

Under Word 2007, by default, there's a huge number of keystrokes
required to
get to Custom Document Properties.
I'd like to make this simple.
Two ways forward have thwarted me, esp. since Word Help is no longer
working
properly for me (I'm getting empty Office 2010 stuff - subject of a
separate
post.)

i) build a form (I've forgotten how to do this.)
ii) explore the opportunities suggested by the ribbon under
Developer|Templates|Document Panel. The dialog box that opens looks
like it
might supply what I want.

Normally, the Help system would send me where I want to go. But it
seems to
be broken for me.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah, that's what they call it now. I've always looked for stuff like
"Document Properties" or "File Properties".

Thanks.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 01/05/2010 14:34, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I added the Advanced Document Properties button to the QAT, which gets
you there in one click, two to get to Custom (and the next time you open
it, it will open at Custom).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Once you've been through the thousand-click dance to get there through the
UI, then you already know that it's "Advanced Document Properties." g

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
Ah, that's what they call it now. I've always looked for stuff like
"Document Properties" or "File Properties".

Thanks.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 01/05/2010 14:34, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I added the Advanced Document Properties button to the QAT, which gets
you there in one click, two to get to Custom (and the next time you open
it, it will open at Custom).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

These days, by the time I get to the end of the thousand-click dance,
I'm very likely to have forgotten the names of every single one of the
steps :-) A great deal of my memory of where things are in Word is now
positional, especially when I find myself having to switch the UI language.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 02/05/2010 04:27, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Once you've been through the thousand-click dance to get there through
the UI, then you already know that it's "Advanced Document Properties." g

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Powell[_2_] David Powell[_2_] is offline

Yes, except do you know how long it took me to find a keyboard contortion
just to get to the Document Properties dropdown? (2 X [Shift]-[Tab]). Then
it's [down][down][Enter] to get the "Advanced Properties"! So that's 5 (or 6
if you count the uncomfortable [Shift]!).

"David Powell" wrote:

Under Word 2007, by default, there's a huge number of keystrokes required to
get to Custom Document Properties.
I'd like to make this simple.
Two ways forward have thwarted me, esp. since Word Help is no longer working
properly for me (I'm getting empty Office 2010 stuff - subject of a separate
post.)

i) build a form (I've forgotten how to do this.)
ii) explore the opportunities suggested by the ribbon under
Developer|Templates|Document Panel. The dialog box that opens looks like it
might supply what I want.

Normally, the Help system would send me where I want to go. But it seems to
be broken for me.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Powell[_2_] David Powell[_2_] is offline

Thanks; that's useful. That will get me there with [Alt] digit digit
[Control-Shift-Tab] (given that my QAT is now 10 icons long!).

I'm still interested in whether my second line of enquiry was a viable one.
As others have mentioned, "Custom Properties" includes a lot of
Microsoft-suggested prompts and it's not a very inviting way to encourage
updating of relevant document metadata in a shared environment.

"David Powell" wrote:

Under Word 2007, by default, there's a huge number of keystrokes required
get to Custom Document Properties.
I'd like to make this simple.
Two ways forward have thwarted me, esp. since Word Help is no longer
working
properly for me (I'm getting empty Office 2010 stuff - subject of a
separate
post.)

i) build a form (I've forgotten how to do this.)
ii) explore the opportunities suggested by the ribbon under
Developer|Templates|Document Panel. The dialog box that opens looks like
it
might supply what I want.

Normally, the Help system would send me where I want to go. But it seems
be broken for me.

Thanks

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David Powell[_2_] David Powell[_2_] is offline

Good to know about! But how *did* you find that reference? Does Microsoft
commit to keeping it stable over versions?

Thanks everyone for the responses. Sorry about the delay. Despite
'checking the box', I'm not getting notification of replies (it *is* via
e-mail, not RSS, isn't it?).

David

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is via email when it works, which it hasn't been doing for months. We've
pleaded with Microsoft to put up a notice to this effect (or remove the
option), but so far there's been no response.

http://word.mvps.org

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But how *did* you find that reference?

If you mean the CommandBars ID one, I googled.

Does Microsoft
commit to keeping it stable over versions?

I doubt it. But it does work in the version of Word 2010 I have here (
not the release version) and unless Microsoft is working on a much more
radical revamp of Word than I have ever seen I suspect that both the Doc
Properties dialog and custom document properties will be with us for
some time.

That said, personally I would be more concerned with where Microsoft is
going with Custom Document Properties. They are obviously catered for in
the "Word 2007" OOXML file formats, but since Word 2007 I would consider
them to be "deprecated" in favour of "Custom XML" and Content Controls.
Unfortunately, even in Word 2010 where MS has tried to find a more
convenient place to show Document Property info., their overall "story"
on this front does not appear to have improved since 2007, i.e. the new
stuff is easy to use for a number of predefined properties associated
with their cover pages etc, and works reasonably well if you are a
SharePoint user, but is otherwise quite inaccessible without additional
code etc.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk