Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amy amy is offline

Default Numbering in Book Files

I am creating a tech manual where each chapter is its own file. I have
created an outline numbered list and saved the list in a template that I then
use to create the new chapters. However, I am finding that when I go into a
new chapter that the outline numbering does not pick up on the chapter
(Heading 1) number. For example:

Chapter 1: Heading 1 style
1.1: Heading 2 style
1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc.

But when I start my next chapter, when I update the chapter number to start
at 2, I get this:

Chapter 2: Heading 1 style
1.1: Heading 2 style
1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc.

I can't get that inital 1 in the outline numbering to change to 2. How can I
get the numbering to update and start with the Heading 1 number?

Thanks!