Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amy Enderson Amy Enderson is offline

Default Weird shifting

I have two odd things happening in my document that I don't *think* are
related, but who knows...? I'm using Word 2007 and I have a template that I
created specifically for this document. It is a very convoluted template
based on obsolete military style guides that I have no say in. I have 7
heading levels and each heading level has numbered procedural steps. Each
heading level indents one step from the next higher heading, so by the time I
get to the highest heading level my left indent is about 3". Crazy, but like
I said, I have no say in the format.

Anyhoo... when I start a new section, the heading levels (based on the
builit-in Heading styles) number correctly but when I go to start the
procedural steps they continue numbering from the list in the previous
section. No big deal, I just go in and tell it to restart at #1 and nine
times out of 10 it does. But what's weird is sometimes--only sometimes, and I
haven't been able to discern a pattern--the indentation gets all screwed up
on ONLY the first step; procedural step 2 lines up at the correct place
according to the paragraph style. Again, not that big of a deal, I just go
into the ruler and drag the line and tab markers to where they belong and
that fixes the problem (usually)... but it is annoying to have to move
everything around constantly when I have already established a paragraph
style. Any ideas?

The other oddness regards a small image I use throughout the manual to
indicate a warning. It's just a text box with the word WARNING. I created a
paragraph style and insert the picture from a JPEG file. The graphic is set
to wrap in line with text. But for some strange reason, a few of these
graphics seem to be getting "nudged" inside their box so that only half of
the graphic appears. I can't think of how to describe it, I wish I could post
a picture to show you what I mean. The space still appears as if the graphic
were in place, but the image itself starts halfway down in the space and the
bottom half of it is cut off and is not visible. Again, it's random and
unpredictable. When that happens I've tried deleting and reinserting the
image, adding extra paragraph lines above and below, and the only way I can
fix it is to go in and change the wrap style to wrap through and then add
lines above and below it to position it in the correct place relating to the
rest of the text.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated! I'll be happy to send
anyone a sample of the two problems I've encountered if it might help in the
solution.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I sounds like the numbering in your Heading 2 style is not set restart after
Heading 1

See the following page of fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website:

"How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft Word
document"

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

In Word 2007 to create (AND to modify) such a numbering scheme, use the
pulldown for the Multilevel List in the Paragraph section of the Home tab of
the Ribbon and select the "Define new Multilevel List...) item in the bottom
of the dialog.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Amy Enderson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amy amy is offline

Sorry... delayed reaction... I forgot to hit the "notify" button...

I have all the levels set to restart after the previous level, so for some
reason it just doesn't pick it up...

I looked at the website recommended but I'm using Word 2007, and when I
tried to follow the steps substituting the correct menu directories it didn't
work... I got the list entirely set up in the multilevel list dialog and
linked all of the headings to the built-in MS heading levels but when I went
into the document and selected Heading 1 it just gave me the default
formatting, not the formatting I selected in the multilevel list dialog.

I'll also post this question on the .numbering DG... I was not aware of this
group before but maybe someone there can help, as well. Thanks for trying,
anyway!

Shifting tables Hubes Page Layout 0 December 5th 07 09:41 PM
Shifting, etc Jadellll Microsoft Word Help 1 November 14th 07 10:25 AM
toolbars shifting BorisS Microsoft Word Help 1 April 1st 06 08:56 AM
Weird Behaviour : Track Changes Adds Weird Text While Document is Protected Hammad Microsoft Word Help 0 July 25th 05 02:44 PM
Shifting between doc windows Vincent Microsoft Word Help 1 March 21st 05 04:41 PM