Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ruth Ruth is offline

Default protection

Hi

I am working in Word 2003. I set up some tables, which I want to have some
of the columns protected and other not protected so people can enter
information in the blank unprotected columns

I set it up to do so by going into Tools-- Protected Document -- and under
exceptions highlighting the columns that they can type in and selected
everyone and putting a password on it.

2 problems:
1. It is extremely slow now-- and I think it may even freeze up some of our
computers.
2. When you hit "enter" in the unprotection columns, it adds a line making
the table larger.

Is there a way to make it so people can only type in certain columns,
without slowing the program down to a near stop?
Is there a way to allow them to type in the certain columns without changing
the shape & length of the table?

--
Thank-you!
Ruth
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To prevent people from resizing the table, specify fixed dimensions for the rows
and columns (before applying document protection).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ruth" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ruth Ruth is offline

Hi

When I go into the properties to set the fixed dimensions, I am able to get
it to work on a table that fits onto one page. But I can't on tables that
run several pages. I will put inthe fixed length and allow to run over the
page, but I end up with just what will fit on the one page.

And it is still super slow when I put the protection back on.

Please Help
--
Thank-you!
Ruth

"Ruth" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, a row with a fixed height cannot span pages, unfortunately. You will have
to reduce the height so that it fits on the page or let the whole row move to
the next page.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ruth" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ruth Ruth is offline

Is there no other way to make it so the user can not add lines with the
return bar when it is protected?
--
Thank-you!
Ruth

"Ruth" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can try the macro in this article:

How to code the ENTER key to move between form fields in a protected form in
Word
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211219

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Protection chequer Microsoft Word Help 5 April 30th 09 06:19 AM
help with protection jason d Microsoft Word Help 1 March 5th 09 06:57 AM
protection Carrie Microsoft Word Help 1 January 2nd 09 09:09 PM
Protection & Pen and Ink kurlisue Microsoft Word Help 1 March 17th 08 04:54 PM
Protection Judy Tables 5 February 5th 07 08:05 PM