Anton

Default Cross reference through multiple documents

Hi,
What would be a good technique to generate cross reference through multiple
documents?

Appearantly, master document or include text is not a good one.

Thanks
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QW50b24=?=,

What would be a good technique to generate cross reference through multiple
documents?

There's no simple method. Best you can do is to bookmark the thing you want to
reference, then use the IncludeText field to bring it across. If you want a
page number, then you have to insert a Page field, format it "hidden",
bookmark it, use IncludeText to bring it in, with the \! switch to prevent the
page number from updating in the target document.

Given all that, depending on what you're producing, Master Documents might be
the better route... Tell us about your project? (And the version of Word)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Anton

Cindy,
Our group is working on the software projects when product requiremens, high
level design, low level design and test routines are specified in Word 2000
documents. As you can imagine the challenge is in traceability of the
requirements all the way to the test routines.

One of the ideas how to implement traceability matrix was to use Word 2000
cross references.

Do you know of any other tools to manage referenced to specific items in
Word documents?

Thank you,
Anton

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?QW50b24=?=,

What would be a good technique to generate cross reference through multiple
documents?

There's no simple method. Best you can do is to bookmark the thing you want to
reference, then use the IncludeText field to bring it across. If you want a
page number, then you have to insert a Page field, format it "hidden",
bookmark it, use IncludeText to bring it in, with the \! switch to prevent the
page number from updating in the target document.

Given all that, depending on what you're producing, Master Documents might be
the better route... Tell us about your project? (And the version of Word)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QW50b24=?=,

Do you know of any other tools to manage referenced to specific items in
Word documents?

No, I do not. There used to be a thing called "Tech-Tav tools" that did
essentially what I described for you. If it's still around out there, I
don't think it's been updated recently. Might still work with Word 2000...

Essentially, though, I suspect that Word is the wrong tool for what you
need.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Bob

Anton,
I am curious if you found any other answers to your original question -
either through features in MS-Word, or in a different software. We have the
same need. Thank you.