Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] brandon.lester@gmail.com is offline

Default Drop Down Form Field in IF Field

I have been trying to use a drop down form field to set the text in
another text form field, but have gotten many problems. My field code
is as follows: {IF {TapeOrientation} = "A" "TrueText" "FalseText" }

No matter what the TapeOrientation drop down form is set to,
"FalseText" is displayed. I tried everything mentioned in an older
posting
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...acb44d3299dbd6
and I would like to stay away from using a macro if possible.

Why is the correct code not working? Is there a setting I may need to
change?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brandon Lester Brandon Lester is offline

On Oct 30, 1:39 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
TapeOrientation is a bookmark, not a field. Try { IF { REF TapeOrientation }
= "A" "TrueText" "FalseText" }

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

ups.com... I have been trying to use a drop down form field to set the text in

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...cmanagement/br...

and I would like to stay away from using a macro if possible.

Why is the correct code not working? Is there a setting I may need to
change?- Hide quoted text -

I've read in previous posts that the REF prefix is not necessary. Even
when I insert it, the set up does not work. I've noticed that the IF
field syntax is sensitive to spaces and quote marks. Below are a
series of codes and outputs I get:

CODE 1: { IF { REF TapeOrientation } = "A" "TrueText" "FalseText" }
RESULT 1: "REF"

CODE 2: { IF {REF TapeOrientation} = "A" "TrueText" "FalseText" }
RESULT 2: "TapeOrientation}"

CODE 3: { IF {REFTapeOrientation} = "A" "TrueText" "FalseText" }
RESULT 3: "False Text"

Only the 3rd code gives something close to expected, but it is still
not the desired output, and I think it only gives "FalseText" because
the {REFTapeOrientation} is giving an error to the rest of the code.
Is it possible someone could attach a document with a working code
that I could open and try out on my computer?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The document you sent had three problems:

1. The dropdown had no bookmark (so the REF field wasn't referring to it).

2. The REF field wasn't a field, just text with typed braces around it.

3. There were no other form fields in the document, so it wasn't possible to
tab out of the dropdown to update the REF fields.

"Brandon Lester" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 30, 1:39 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
TapeOrientation is a bookmark, not a field. Try { IF { REF

TapeOrientation }
= "A" "TrueText" "FalseText" }

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so