Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lee Writer Lee Writer is offline

Default Word doc attachment comes through in design mode

I have a Word 2003 doc with check-mark controls in it. On my computer, the
doc does not display in design mode. When I send it as an Outlook
attachment, and the recipient opens it, the doc appears in design mode. I
want them to see it in regular mode, not design mode. How do I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Lee Writer wrote:
I have a Word 2003 doc with check-mark controls in it. On my
computer, the doc does not display in design mode. When I send it as
an Outlook attachment, and the recipient opens it, the doc appears in
design mode. I want them to see it in regular mode, not design mode.
How do I do this?

The check boxes you used are presumably those from the Control Toolbox
rather than the ones from the Forms toolbar. The Control Toolbox items are
ActiveX objects, which Office considers to be in the same class as macros as
possible security risks. Therefore, if the security level (in Tools Macro
Security) is set to High or Very High (or if it's set to Medium and the

user clicks Disable in the warning box on opening the document), the check
boxes will be disabled and the document will be in design mode.

You have no control over any other user's security level, other than telling
them that they should set it to Medium and click Enable when the message
appears.

The better alternative is to use something other than the ActiveX controls.
A protected form with check boxes from the Forms toolbar
(http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=22) may be acceptable.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman