Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Dave is offline

Default Default language

Hate to think I get into trouble with default language. When I do, I get
into the language list to discover there are many versions of English all
checked as chosen for default, and there is no apparent way to de-select
them.

I do have the French library, and it seems to be OK. It's just the English.

Oscar Wilde said the British and Americans had much in common except for
language. And I bet he didn't even know about the Belize, Canadian,
Caribbean, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Australia, Ireland Jamaica,
Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Trinidad and
Tobago English. Sheesh.

Anyway, any help just getting me down to English (US) would be greatly
appreciated.

Thx

Dave
WinXP SP2 Office/Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The checkmark + abc symbol is telling you that you can spell check those
variants of English. My list tells me that I can also check spelling for
French (15 variants) and Spanish (21 variants, including US Spanish). Set
the default language for the document and all future documents by selecting
the language (or language variant) and clicking the default button.

HTH,
Pam

Dave wrote:
Hate to think I get into trouble with default language. When I do, I get
into the language list to discover there are many versions of English all
checked as chosen for default, and there is no apparent way to de-select
them.

I do have the French library, and it seems to be OK. It's just the English.

Oscar Wilde said the British and Americans had much in common except for
language. And I bet he didn't even know about the Belize, Canadian,
Caribbean, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Australia, Ireland Jamaica,
Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Trinidad and
Tobago English. Sheesh.

Anyway, any help just getting me down to English (US) would be greatly
appreciated.

Thx

Dave
WinXP SP2 Office/Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Dave is offline

Thank you Pam -
Do I understand, then, that if I check just the first English option (US),
the other English options will also become checked automatically? I also
note (I am ashamed to say 'for the first time") that is also how the French
variations appear.

Dave

Dave wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Note that you can also run the Microsoft Office 2003 (or 2007) Language
Settings tool and remove all languages except the one you need to keep (and
English US which insists on being available). That will help keep your
default language set.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

Dave wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Dave is offline

Interesting point Terry - thanks
I can't believe how often this pops up. Possibly working back and forth
between English and French (or anything) doesn't help.

Thx again
Dave

news

Dave wrote:
[...]

Default language with new document Michel Microsoft Word Help 2 May 29th 06 03:47 PM
Remove English (U.S.) language as a default language Cathal Microsoft Word Help 3 March 21st 06 08:58 PM
default language IainG Microsoft Word Help 5 July 28th 05 05:27 PM
Default Language Feverish New Users 1 May 26th 05 02:48 PM
Set default language for all docs? Remove default (no proofing tex Claire Microsoft Word Help 1 January 28th 05 12:35 AM