Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kavon55 Kavon55 is offline

Default word text delete problem

I just received a new computer with word 2003. When I highlight some text and
hit the delete button nothing happens. Also I have no delete command when I
right click. How do I fix so it deletes.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
finalword finalword is offline

Does this occur if you type in a blank document? It sounds like the document
you are working in is protected.

"Kavon55" wrote:

I just received a new computer with word 2003. When I highlight some text and
hit the delete button nothing happens. Also I have no delete command when I
right click. How do I fix so it deletes.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Kavon55 wrote:
I just received a new computer with word 2003. When I highlight some
text and hit the delete button nothing happens. Also I have no delete
command when I right click. How do I fix so it deletes.

To make the Delete key work as you expect, go to Tools Options Edit and
check "Typing replaces selection".

There isn't supposed to be a Delete item on the right-click menu (although
you can customize the menu to put it there), but there is a Cut item.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, Delete is not, I think, affected by the setting you mention
(Backspace is). If the Delete key will delete (forward) one character at a
time but will not delete a selection, go to Tools | Options | General and
clear the check boxes for both items that refer to WordPerfect.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
Kavon55 wrote:
I just received a new computer with word 2003. When I highlight some
text and hit the delete button nothing happens. Also I have no delete
command when I right click. How do I fix so it deletes.

To make the Delete key work as you expect, go to Tools Options Edit
and check "Typing replaces selection".

There isn't supposed to be a Delete item on the right-click menu (although
you can customize the menu to put it there), but there is a Cut item.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
so all may benefit.